What's new

Question on Straight Razors and Restoring one

I have five straight razors, and all of them need work to become shave worthy. Some more, some less. They are all German or Sheffield steel, but most of them suffer from years of neglect or bad past honing. My dilemma/question is this: I would like to be able to learn how to straight shave with one of these razors if possible, but have no knowledge or ability in restoring razors. So would it be appropriate/fair to post a trade in the BST that would be a trade for 4 of the 5 razors in return for restoring the 5th?

I know it would depend on the condition and value of the razors involved, but wanted to ask if such a trade would even potentially be seen as fair and good form. I really don't know how much work is required.

Thanks for the help!

Send me your mailing info. I have something special that I just wrapped up today that you can practice shaving with. Just polished it on my Kiita so it's ready to go.

I would offer to work on your razors but I travel a lot and it usually takes me a few months just to get around to do 1. Maybe someone can help you out with a razor:001_smile

If you want to try restoring you could check out the video series on Youtube by Undream. The first one is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uurBeF1u83U.

Otherwise it may be beneficial to put some pictures of the razors you want restored so people who may be interested in helping could gauge possible work necessary to get them ready for you.

Here is my pitiful lot of razors. I know next to nothing about these, and don't expect they are anything special. Please don't try to make me feel good about them if none are worth restoring or using, I have wasted my money on far worse! :lol:

OK, here we go. From left to right: 1) Mag-Nam, 2) Friedr, Baurmann & Sohne, Solingen "Comfort" 24 (w/ cracked scales), 3) Bresduck Dubl Duck Special #1 (w/ misaligned scales) 4) Golden Rule Cutlery, Chicago, and 5) ---RS & SON. Celebrated Razor, Sheffield

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

While none have chips on their cutting edge, my initial guess is that the Mag-Num has too little steel left, the FB needs too much work, and the Dubl Duck was some blade shape issues. This would leave the Chicago and Sheffield razors as the easiest candidates to restore, with the Sheffield the best looking but with slightly more worn horn scales.

Advice?

Don't hold back - feel free to tell me I have nothing but junk if that is the case.

I don't feel comfortable doing the work myself, hence my question about a trade. If these are not trade-bait, then I will probably just shelve these and buy a new razor.

Thanks Luc!

I didn't realize there was a honemeister here in Georgia, I will send Trey a PM now.

You really think these are decent enough blades?

Cool!:thumbup1:

The 'ers and son is "Joseph Rodgers & Son"

It looks like it just needs a honing. From the pictures it looks almost new to me. The Comfort is probably worth a restore. Some heavy sanding and a honing is all it probably needs. The other 3 look like victims of some pretty bad honing, and while they all could be restored, the only one that might be worth it in my opinion is the duck, and it's not worth paying to restore. Even restored it won't be worth what a restoration job would cost you because it will have so much wear on it.

If I were you I'd send the Joseph Rodgers out for honing, sand the rust off the Comfort and then send it out for honing, and put the rest on eBay unless you're interested in learning how to restore them yourself.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks Luc!

I didn't realize there was a honemeister here in Georgia, I will send Trey a PM now.

You really think these are decent enough blades?

Cool!:thumbup1:

No worries!

The Double Duck and Joseph and Sons would be worth looking into for sure. They are not so bad IMO. Check with Trey and see what he says...

Thanks Ian - that great and very helpful information! :thumbup:

I have a Joseph Rodgers & Son box that I guess goes with the razor, but didn't want to make a faulty assumption.

I'll try to get some sandpaper to the Comfort razor (and tape up the edge first) and see how long it takes me to either get frustrated or hurt.

Thanks again!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks Ian - that great and very helpful information! :thumbup:

I have a Joseph Rodgers & Son box that I guess goes with the razor, but didn't want to make a faulty assumption.

I'll try to get some sandpaper to the Comfort razor (and tape up the edge first) and see how long it takes me to either get frustrated or hurt.

Thanks again!

I would recommend latex gloves to do so...

I tried it, it will be a few hours work

Heavy in pictures
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119243

Top Bottom