What's new

Adding Menthol to Bay Rum

I've picked up a half-dozen bottles of "Superior 70 Bay Rum" from Walgreens at $1.99 a bottle - but they don't sell the mentholated version. I've seen menthol crystals for sale all over the internet, and knowing that they dissolve in alcohol, I thought I'd try adding menthol to each bottle.

The bottles are 12 oz each; there must be a formula/ratio of how many grams of menthol to add to each fluid ounce of product for varying levels of "freeze". Does anyone have any information on the use/ratio of menthol crystals?

Thanks!

I have added menthol to Superior70 but I don't have an exact formula. The problem I have is that the menthol crystals are so light that I don't have a scale that sensative. I would say that for a whole bottle maybe 1/8th of a teaspoon of crystals would be a good starting point. I wish I had some scientific lab supplies to accurate.

That little! And I bought 8 ounces! Oh well...

My kitchen scale weighs as little as 1/2 gram; I'll have to see what 1/8 tsp weighs...

Thanks for the reply!

I've picked up a half-dozen bottles of "Superior 70 Bay Rum" from Walgreens at $1.99 a bottle - but they don't sell the mentholated version. I've seen menthol crystals for sale all over the internet, and knowing that they dissolve in alcohol, I thought I'd try adding menthol to each bottle.

The bottles are 12 oz each; there must be a formula/ratio of how many grams of menthol to add to each fluid ounce of product for varying levels of "freeze". Does anyone have any information on the use/ratio of menthol crystals?

Thanks!

was it on clearance or sale? 1.99 a bottle sounds right up my alley. I read about superior 70 but never tried it.

The bag I bought will be enough to last me a lifetime. It is really nice to be able to control how cold you make it though. It ends up being a great splash for next to nothing in price. Keep us posted as to your progress with the weighing.

was it on clearance or sale? 1.99 a bottle sounds right up my alley. I read about superior 70 but never tried it.

No, that's the regular price at Walgreens. If it's not on the shelf in the store, ask the manager to order it for you, but have it delivered to the store so that you don't pay postage. It's a good bay rum, and at that price I use it as a body splash in the summer, after a shower.

No, that's the regular price at Walgreens. If it's not on the shelf in the store, ask the manager to order it for you, but have it delivered to the store so that you don't pay postage. It's a good bay rum, and at that price I use it as a body splash in the summer, after a shower.

Thanks for the info hitting Walgreens after work.

Hi Serge

A good starting point for menthol is 1%. 12 ounces weighs approsimately 350 grams. Alcohol weighs less than water. Adding 3.5 grams should give you a cooling product. Try that and if you decide you want it cooler you can always add more menthol.

As a side note. Yes menthol will dissolve in alcohol. If you find this is taking a long time you can facilitate this by setting the product in a cup of very warm water from the tap. Menthol has a melt point of 103*F.

HTH
J

I put my crystals in a small 1/2 pint jar covered with 90% rubbing Alcohol and shake off an on during the evening. Put it on the shelf and in the morning shake it some more and by you get home that day it will be all melted and mixed together.

Hi Serge

A good starting point for menthol is 1%. 12 ounces weighs approsimately 350 grams. Alcohol weighs less than water. Adding 3.5 grams should give you a cooling product. Try that and if you decide you want it cooler you can always add more menthol.

As a side note. Yes menthol will dissolve in alcohol. If you find this is taking a long time you can facilitate this by setting the product in a cup of very warm water from the tap. Menthol has a melt point of 103*F.

HTH
J
Thank you for the advice! The menthol arrived today, and I followed your advice, then added a bit more.

The ratio of 1 gm. of menthol to 3 ounces of alcohol yielded an "Osage Rub" freeze, which is what I was looking for! And yes, putting the bottle in a sink of hot water for a few minutes dissolved the menthol completely!

And home-mentholated Superior 70 Bay Rum is a great after-shower splash in the summer!

Top Bottom