What's new

sunscreen study

Thanks for the link. I had mentioned this in a previous thread on sunscreens but couldn't find a mainstream link to support it. Isn't this the irony of all ironies--what we've been using to prevent skin cancer is likely to be causing it! :blink:

Thanks for the link. I had mentioned this in a previous thread on sunscreens but couldn't find a mainstream link to support it. Isn't this the irony of all ironies--what we've been using to prevent skin cancer is likely to be causing it! :blink:

Actually, the article refers to a single study that suggests that one ingredient used in many sunscreens may be of more harm than good, not that sunscreens cause cancer.

Also, the big takeaway for me is that people aren't using enough sunscreen. SPF numbers are based on slathering the lotion thickly on, which most people aren't doing.

I don't know about cancer, but the majority of high SPF sunscreens are too heavy for my skin. Regardless of whether or not they're branded oil-free or noncomedogenic, they don't absorb well and make me appear prepared to haunt an opera house. I'm using an oil free SPF 15 moisturizer from Neutrogena right now. I would like to use something with a higher spf, but I'm not going to sacrifice my present appearance to reduce the risk of something I may never deal with, anyway.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
i don't know about cancer, but the majority of high spf sunscreens are too heavy for my skin. Regardless of whether or not they're branded oil-free or noncomedogenic, they don't absorb well and make me appear prepared to haunt an opera house. I'm using an oil free spf 15 moisturizer from neutrogena right now. I would like to use something with a higher spf, but i'm not going to sacrifice my present appearance to reduce the risk of something i may never deal with, anyway.

+1

The link is to an op-ed piece, written with a clear bias, and not a news report. I don't doubt the writer's sincerity--advocacy pieces can be truly helpful--but with the slow death of newspapers, some of us may be losing the ability to tell the difference.

It's no secret that most sunscreen products do not block all of the light that contributes to cancer. Anyone truly concerned should limit exposure. Wear hats, long pants, and long sleeves. There are plenty of clothing products available that are comfortable in dry or humid heat. When you go to the pool, pick a shady spot to lounge around.

For me, the bottom line is that I burn to a crisp without sunscreen. I'm not going to endure short-term pain and skin damage just because some lab study can be interpreted to mean that sunscreen isn't the magic anti-cancer bullet.

Top Bottom