What's new

TGN Knots, UK Silvertip vs Silvertip Grade A

I am getting a brush made for me and I am deciding between these two knots. I am wondering; however, if the UK Silvertip is worth the $20 price difference. Price isn't really the issue here, the issue is whether or not the UK Silvertip is that superior to the Silvertip Grade A. Thanks in advance!

Chris

Chris...I recently tried the TGN UK Silvertip...the most expensive 20mm knot offered by Tony...not only was it extremely 'thin' (non-dense) but it felt much smaller than what I expected from a 20mm knot. It was set at a 44-45mm loft and after using it a few times, I gave it away to a friend of mine. I do like smaller knots for face lathering but I want my knots to be dense. I still have a 20mm Silvertip Grade A in my regular rotation and I absolutely love that knot. The loft is 48mm and it works just fine for soaps. I've also tried quite a few of the TGN Finest knots and they're also superb.

Thanks for the reply, since a lot of people have a bunch of experience with TGN knots I will post my questions here. I am going to have 4 brushes made for me with differing purposes. My current brush is a Stephens Woodworking 26mm Silvertip with a 55mm loft. My dislikes, the brush is huge and its a little scritchy. But, that being said it is nice for a luxurious lather and plush/floppy. I also have ordered a 22mm brush that will be on its way. I am looking to get soft brushes that will serve different purposes so here goes....

Travel Brush (shave stick)
TGN Finest or Silvertip Grade A 18mm. This will be my travel brush with the plastic handle. I will be face lathering only so I think it will need to be a shorter loft and more dense. I was thinking about a 40-44mm loft. The price is almost a wash between the two brush types so which would you reccomend for this purpose?

Cream/Soap Bowl/mug latherer
I can't decide between TGN 24mm UK Silvertip or Silvertip Grade A (I am trying to get info on whether or not the UK is worth the extra $20, what do you think?). This is going to be my luxury brush so if its a noticeable difference or worth the $ I am ok with it. My only concern with a 24mm brush is that I will still find it very large. However, my assumption is that if it is set with a 50-52mm loft it will be more dense thus not splay out as much on my face and not feel so huge. What do you think?

Everything Brush (soap, cream, face and bowl)
TGN Silvertip Grade A 22mm. Like I said this will be used for everything. I am thinking about a 48-50mm loft to accomodate all of that. Your thoughts?
Face Latherer (Mainly soaps)

TGN Super Badger Fan 20mm. I will be using this for face lathering. I am thinking about a 44-46mm loft. Once again, your thoughts?

If you have any input or suggestions outside my thoughts (whether it be loft, knot size, hair type etc) I would love to hear it. I am still trying to decide on handle shapes at the moment. I have been wetshaving for about 2 months now and have already gone through SRAD, Soap AD, and now its brush AD and its all been great :) Thanks again!

Last edited:
Travel...18mm Finest would be a good choice. I just did one of those and it is a very very nice brush. I set mine at 42mm and could have gone up to 45 without any problems.

Bowl...you are on your own. I don't bowl lather.

Face....20mm Finest Fan would be my choice and will soon be in my inventory. I am setting mine at 45mm.

I have a 23mm UK Super set at 46mm....good knot, but I prefer smaller ones. I do not think it is worth the money over the Chinese knots.

I have an 18mm Grade A and it is a very good brush..set at 42mm. I prefer my Finest over it.

For me so far, the Finest from 16mm to 20mm have been my favored knots. Good price, excellent backbone, soft enough tips.

Chris...I recently tried the TGN UK Silvertip...the most expensive 20mm knot offered by Tony...not only was it extremely 'thin' (non-dense) but it felt much smaller than what I expected from a 20mm knot. It was set at a 44-45mm loft and after using it a few times, I gave it away to a friend of mine. I do like smaller knots for face lathering but I want my knots to be dense. I still have a 20mm Silvertip Grade A in my regular rotation and I absolutely love that knot. The loft is 48mm and it works just fine for soaps. I've also tried quite a few of the TGN Finest knots and they're also superb.

You sure you don't mean the UK Super? The UK Silvertip is only in 24mm at the moment.

I tried the UK super in 23mm. It's alright. I have it at 55mm or so loft and it's pretty floppy, but is very soft and works well. I don't find it loosely packed. It's about average.

The UK silvertip 24mm I have set at 47mm and it's by a good margin the densest brush I own. Denser than the extra stuffed Finest's I've gotten from TGN. It's my favorite brush.

Travel...18mm Finest would be a good choice. I just did one of those and it is a very very nice brush. I set mine at 42mm and could have gone up to 45 without any problems.

Bowl...you are on your own. I don't bowl lather.

Face....20mm Finest Fan would be my choice and will soon be in my inventory. I am setting mine at 45mm.

I have a 23mm UK Super set at 46mm....good knot, but I prefer smaller ones. I do not think it is worth the money over the Chinese knots.

I have an 18mm Grade A and it is a very good brush..set at 42mm. I prefer my Finest over it.

For me so far, the Finest from 16mm to 20mm have been my favored knots. Good price, excellent backbone, soft enough tips.

Just curious, but set the knot at a certain height?

Thanks,
Shawn

Just curious, but set the knot at a certain height?

Thanks,
Shawn

Yes, setting at a certain height ( loft ) will effect the density of the brush.

See My Wiki entry in my sig , there's a posting there that shows loft ( height ) vs density vs bloom size.

:001_smile

Top Bottom