What's new

Tallow recommendations?

What would you recommend as far a good tallow soap for a beginner? I have some Tabac, but find it somewhat drying, and the scent is not my bag. I was thinking about Dr. Harris or one of the other English soaps. I'd like something that's not too challenging to whip up, won't dry me out, and performs well.

Thanks for any input...

MWF and a boar brush. I say boar because I think most people's problems with MWF stem from the notion that they don't get enough soap loaded. Of course, there are plenty of people that report success after using luke warm water rather than hot water.

Also, don't be afraid of quality vegetable based soaps as they can be just as good as tallow (IMO). If you have a local L'Occitane, go pick up some Cade - you won't have to wait for shipping.

MWF certainly is an excellent soap, I would also try Speick stick and I too recommend CADE even though it is not tallow, I find it superior in all respects to many other tallow soaps and certainly so over Tabac.

A suggestion to go with the Tabac. Use more water than you think you will need. I believe the beauty in tallow is it allows more water in the lather than other soaps. It allows for a much wetter lather. So, just try it out and add more water!!

Actually he has Tabac and is looking for something better....

I see you are in Seattle, last time I looked CADE was only in-stock at Alderwood. UVillage and downtown were out. Try CADE and you will have a whole new appreciation for an excellent soap.

Did anyone see a moos walk by?
proxy.php

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
What they all said, and I also toss Charismata soap in the pot - nice tallow based soap, and very nice scent - I love the Cherry Tobacco.

What would you recommend as far a good tallow soap for a beginner? I have some Tabac, but find it somewhat drying, and the scent is not my bag. I was thinking about Dr. Harris or one of the other English soaps. I'd like something that's not too challenging to whip up, won't dry me out, and performs well.

Thanks for any input...

Prairie Creations, my fav is Watercress and Aloe (tallow and lanolin!)
MWF (Mitchell's Wool Fat, also by Kent on eekBay) is amazing also.

Wim

Last edited:
Speick, Valobra, and Cella.

I'll also say Cade for a great non-tallow, that smells amazing and performs greatly!

J.

Top Bottom