What's new

First 2-pass DE shave

Today, after a couple of weeks of one-pass shaves (and some experiments over part of my face with a second pass), I did a full two pass shave (WTG and XTG) over my entire beard. I used a Merkur Long Handled Classic (23c) razor with a Merkur blade and lathered up using a Rooney Pure Badger brush and AOS shaving soap. Some observations:

1) The lather lasted throughout the entire shave, start to finish. This included 3 full latherings (pre-shave and 2 razor shaves).

2) The shave itself was good to excellent in most places (smooth to very smooth), but there was some uneveness here and there.

3) In the time I have been using the DE razor, I have not had a single nick, cut, or scrape. With the cartirdges (AtraPlus 2 blade system), I regularly nicked or cut myself. This resulted from attempting to get a closer, smoother shave by applying more pressure.

Following my 2-pass DE shave, there was some slight razor burn. I did not use an after-shave, only cold water. I have a bottle of Gentlemens Refinery after-shave balm on order from Vintage Blades.

I used to have some slight razor bumps (when cartridge shaving). They have disappeared.

4) I have not noticed the oft-commented difference between the first shave with the Merkur blade and subsequent shaves. As time goes on, I will be trying other blades from my sampler pack.

5) It took about 25 minutes from start to finish. This is a longer time than most experienced DE shavers report. Probable cause is that I have been paying close attention to angles and pressure (or rather "no pressure") and thus have been moving slowly and carefully. That is not a bad thing.

Way to go. It's good to go slowly, so you can enjoy the shave! As time goes on, your proficiency and comfort will improve, as will the results. It sounds like you're off to a great start.

Well done! Sure, shaving with a DE does take a little longer (especially when you are just starting) but it can be very therapeutic. Good to hear that you are already getting good results- keep at it and things should only improve!

After cogitating about my previous experience (especially the part about the slight razor burn), I entered the fray once again. This time, I decided to pay more careful attention to the angles, the excess "steepness" of which I had tentatively identified as the culprit.

The result was a close 2-pass shave (as before), but this time with almost no razor burn. I find that the angles are harder to monitor properly in the mirror when going XTG, but by turning my head this way and that I was able to get a better fix on them. In the future, I hope to find that the sound of the blade slicing the whiskers is an easier and better gauge of proper angle. Could that be the case?

Very nice. No need to rush your shave anyway. I find my shave time to be very relaxing and a time to just forget about any troubles. Just keep it slow and easy, you'll learn from your mistakes and your technique should improve rather quickly. :thumbup1:

You're getting there, slow at first is fine, eventually you will have much better technique. As others have noted, it is relaxing.

Top Bottom