First 2-pass DE shave
Today, after a couple of weeks of one-pass shaves (and some experiments over part of my face with a second pass), I did a full two pass shave (WTG and XTG) over my entire beard. I used a Merkur Long Handled Classic (23c) razor with a Merkur blade and lathered up using a Rooney Pure Badger brush and AOS shaving soap. Some observations:
1) The lather lasted throughout the entire shave, start to finish. This included 3 full latherings (pre-shave and 2 razor shaves).
2) The shave itself was good to excellent in most places (smooth to very smooth), but there was some uneveness here and there.
3) In the time I have been using the DE razor, I have not had a single nick, cut, or scrape. With the cartirdges (AtraPlus 2 blade system), I regularly nicked or cut myself. This resulted from attempting to get a closer, smoother shave by applying more pressure.
Following my 2-pass DE shave, there was some slight razor burn. I did not use an after-shave, only cold water. I have a bottle of Gentlemens Refinery after-shave balm on order from Vintage Blades.
I used to have some slight razor bumps (when cartridge shaving). They have disappeared.
4) I have not noticed the oft-commented difference between the first shave with the Merkur blade and subsequent shaves. As time goes on, I will be trying other blades from my sampler pack.
5) It took about 25 minutes from start to finish. This is a longer time than most experienced DE shavers report. Probable cause is that I have been paying close attention to angles and pressure (or rather "no pressure") and thus have been moving slowly and carefully. That is not a bad thing.
VdH Luxury, Speick, C.O. Bigelow, Real Shaving Cream, AOS, Cella.