What's new

Visited AOS last weekend

And wow, are their prices high, over-all. 10% - 25% above what I can find online, and then add sales tax on top of that. I probably won't be buying a whole lot from them.

However, I did get to play with a Progress, Vision and Futur, and I have concluded that I really want the Progress, above the others. I also got to sniff the various software that AOS carries, and discovered that I can't smell anything in their sandalwood cream, the lemon cream is nice, the lavender cream is not bad, and the sandalwood soap smells nice, if light. I also got handed a sample-kit (PSO, unscented cream and unscented ASB) on my way out the door, with a $25 coupon off of any full-size kit.

Now, that all being said, my daughter got me a $40 gift certificate at the store for Father's Day, that I'm still trying to decide what to use for. Rumor has it that she also got a coupon for $25 off of any purchase of $100 or more. If I can use it with the GC, I might get a "traditional shave" and the Progress, and end up paying less for the Progress than I can get it for online... The Progress was about $75 at AOS. The sales lady said that the /s/Futur/Vision was about $250. :blink:

Any thoughts on whether I should get the Progress, the shave, or (the obvious choice) both with my GC?

Last edited:
I'd go with the shave and possibly the full kit or a soap and throw in an aftershave balm. I didn't get anything from the pre shave oil. I would hold out for the Progress from one of the vendors, a Mergress perhaps.

I too got their sampler when I first visited the AOS shop here in Bellevue, WA. I tried all three elements and decided to buy their shaving soap. It seemed expensive but after using it for a while, it looks like it just may last almost a year. Hard to tell right now, though, since I've barely made a dent in it (after 3 weeks of use).

I bought a few of the AOS starter kits last month to see if AOS is all it's cracked up to be. My conclusion is they're certainly overpriced, but some of their products are really nice. I tried the sandalwood line, and the lavender line. Both seem almost scentless. However, when you use the AOS pre shave oil, shave cream, and finish up with the ASB, it does leave a light, pleasant scent with you all day. These little kits I bought came with travel sizes of pre shave, shave cream, and ASB, as well as a mini badger brush. The pre shave I don't like much at all, however I'm a fan of all the rest of the kit, especially the small badger, which will certainly come in handy when traveling. If I were you, I'd go back and pick up one of those razors you had your eye on, and maybe a starter kit or two. If you end up liking it, they all come with $25 off coupons. If you don't, they're only $25 each and you'll still end up with a nifty little brush and a nice DE.

I bought a few of the AOS starter kits last month to see if AOS is all it's cracked up to be. My conclusion is they're certainly overpriced, but some of their products are really nice. I tried the sandalwood line, and the lavender line. Both seem almost scentless. However, when you use the AOS pre shave oil, shave cream, and finish up with the ASB, it does leave a light, pleasant scent with you all day. These little kits I bought came with travel sizes of pre shave, shave cream, and ASB, as well as a mini badger brush. The pre shave I don't like much at all, however I'm a fan of all the rest of the kit, especially the small badger, which will certainly come in handy when traveling. If I were you, I'd go back and pick up one of those razors you had your eye on, and maybe a starter kit or two. If you end up liking it, they all come with $25 off coupons. If you don't, they're only $25 each and you'll still end up with a nifty little brush and a nice DE.

You can often find the starter kits in the "bulk discount" stores especially around the holidays for less than that. The brush isn't the greatest in terms of longevity, imho, but it'll get ya started.

The Progress was about $75 at AOS. The sales lady said that the Futur was about $250. :blink:

Those had BETTER be sets and not just the razor. Actually, I'm utterly appalled at the price of the Futur, since it's $65 all over the place. $75 for the Progress would indicate high, but not uncommon markup (less shocking if it's cased).

You can often find the starter kits in the "bulk discount" stores especially around the holidays for less than that. The brush isn't the greatest in terms of longevity, imho, but it'll get ya started.

ofcourse that's what I did, haha. There are always a few on ebay floating around. I picked the 2 up for 40 dollars with free ship. Used one of the brushes for a day or two, and tossed the other one in my dopp kit. Really, at the end of the day it cost me 40 dollars to realize I like their shave cream and aftershave balm, which is really useless information for me because I still prefer a soap, and an aftershave tonic instead of a balm.

The Progress was about $75 at AOS. The sales lady said that the Futur was about $250. :blink:

Those had BETTER be sets and not just the razor. Actually, I'm utterly appalled at the price of the Futur, since it's $65 all over the place. $75 for the Progress would indicate high, but not uncommon markup (less shocking if it's cased).

Nope, those were cardboard boxes. My mistake, that was for the Vision, not the Futur. Still, that's at a premium above the going online rate.

It was still worth the trip to get to play with them all, though. REALLY fond of the Progress!

Top Bottom