What's new

frustrated beyond frustrated with moutache area..need help!

Hey guys this is my first post, I am hoping someobody here can point me in the right direction because I am lost! I am a 21 yr/old male been having problems with my moustache area for about 2 years or so now. Now matter what I do I always have a shadow after I shave, I can never get a close enough shave people even come up to me hours after my shave and ask if I am tryign to grow out my stache! I have tried everythign I currently wetshave with badger brush and soap, with a Double edge razor. I can get a nice clean shave in all areas on my face minus my moustache. I always have irration no matter what. I am thinking maybe I have ingrown hairs, but looking at pictures on internet it does not look like it. I am thinking about tryign "the art of shaving ingrown night cream" Also my moutashe hair is very very blunt and hard it does not come in soft. Any suggestions or help would be great thank you very much!

Welcome to B&B. I have a similar problem.

Some of us just have parts of our face where hair grows darker, thicker, and tougher than in other parts of our face. My upper lip is one of those places, so I feel your pain. What I've done is tooled around with various razor/blade combinations to find something that works. What I've noticed is that they all work, but only when they want to. It's a big mystery sometimes to get the coveted BBS (baby butt smooth) shave.

My advice to you will be similar to most enablers here: buy everything you can, try everything you can.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

What are you using as a razor? You might need a different brand of blade in it. That can make a difference.

The un-shaven "look" is something that I have right after the shave. I still have those whiskers showing but if I rub in any direction, it's smooth. That's the way it is. In your case, as Shane pointed out, you might have a stronger beard growth there and that's why it looks like that.

Have a look at Mantic videos if you didn't. I know you've been wetshaving for a while but going back to basic is always good: http://www.youtube.com/mantic59

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
What is your razor, blade and soap or cream that you use?

What is your prep? Walk us through a shave, particularly the upper lip part.

How many passes on that area, and what directions (ie With the Grain, Across the Grain, Against the Grain etc)?

I had that trouble to starting off with my DE career.. After being use to a nice finish with a M3..

Somethings I did to get it looking better may sound funny and makes my girlfriend laugh when she was in the bathroom with me is these:

I puff my upper lip like shoving a chew up there, then rotate to each side
Do the long face, let the jaw stretch it out tight

I keep the stash area shaved last, let it soak up the lather has I shave the rest of my face.. And applying fresh lather to it has I complete the different sections to my face..

Also I take my time with that area, I remember I went fast once and cut my nose... It was sort of embarrassing :blushing:

Let the head weight do the job like it did for the rest of the face.. Very important to always re lather when your done with a pass

I hope this helps a bit, I have problems getting the very edge near the nostrils.. I usually use my Rolls to get there..

Thanks for all the input guys, greatly appricated. Heres my setup I am currently using, the razor is a merku futur with merkur blades, ( tried various blades already,freather, durby,) the soap I am using is Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood, and some art of shaving pre-oil. What I usaly do is lather up really well after a shower, and start on setting number 2 on my razor pass one time then go up till about setting number 4. Another problem I come across is it seems like nothing gets shaven or taken off unless I go agaisnt the grain (which I no I am not supposed to do but the shave is pointless unless I do) when I do this I go down to the lowest setting I have and very gently continue with the shave. Sometimes I comes ok good no cuts irration etc, but no matter what always have a shadow.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks for all the input guys, greatly appricated. Heres my setup I am currently using, the razor is a merku futur with merkur blades, ( tried various blades already,freather, durby,) the soap I am using is Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood, and some art of shaving pre-oil. What I usaly do is lather up really well after a shower, and start on setting number 2 on my razor pass one time then go up till about setting number 4. Another problem I come across is it seems like nothing gets shaven or taken off unless I go agaisnt the grain (which I no I am not supposed to do but the shave is pointless unless I do) when I do this I go down to the lowest setting I have and very gently continue with the shave. Sometimes I comes ok good no cuts irration etc, but no matter what always have a shadow.

Merkur aren't the best blade around but if they work for you, that's fine.

For the razor, I would try something else than a Futur. Maybe a Merkur HD or Gillette NEW. A Slant might also be the solution to your problems.

Why do you say you're not supposed to go against the grain? I go ATG everyday with my straight razor.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Merkur aren't the best blade around but if they work for you, that's fine.

For the razor, I would try something else than a Futur. Maybe a Merkur HD or Gillette NEW. A Slant might also be the solution to your problems.

Why do you say you're not supposed to go against the grain? I go ATG everyday with my straight razor.

+1

You will not get a really close shave without ATG.

New guys are sometimes warned off of ATG till they get the hang of the process, but ATG is an essential part of a traditional shave.

I feel your pain. For me that spot is just under the point of my chin. Unless I do so many passes that my skin is raw, it just never comes off completely. However my thick Viking beard is red so unless someone looks close they wont see it.

To avoid irritation I like to do a 2 pass shave with touch ups, first with the grain then against it then touch ups against the grain on my lower jaw line and chin and my lower neck area. For me the only razor that will give a good shave that way is the Slant. Everything else requires at least one more pass, often two or more. The Slant seems to take off more hair in fewer passes. I believe most folks here do at least one pass against the grain.

I do not shave against the grain on my upper lip. If you can do that you are a braver man than I.

Just do WTG/XTG/XTG with some blade buffing. Check out Mantic's videos on youtube for more tips.

For me at least, even if I get a BBS shave, you can still see the hair. It's a curse of very dark, coarse hair. Don't kill your skin trying to shave every last molecule. If you get a damn fine shave, leave it at that.

I'd suggest possibly considering s different razor, one that can shave very close with little fuss, lilke a Slant or a SE razor. With one of these you should be able to get as close as possible without "over-working" the area with too many multiple passes.

Just remember if you go for either of the above, to use your light touch.

DD

+1 on blade buffing. My 'stache is also on the bristly side, and only with ATG buffing does it get smooth. I'm talking maybe 10+ buffs, too, until the "scritch" noise goes away. Same goes for my chin. Just be sure to keep the area lubricated while buffing.

I have the same issue with the upper lip and under the chin. Blade buffing works, but there always seems to be places that look dark even with a four-pass BBS. I guess some of us are just genetically cursed.

Just do WTG/XTG/XTG with some blade buffing.

+1 on that. I can't go ATG on my moustache area either, but WTG/XTG/XTG seems to do the trick. (If you don't understand all the acronyms we use in this forum, look here: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Abbreviations.)

When I have extra time, I find that adding an extra WTG pass helps, which would make the sequence WTG/WTG/XTG/XTG in this case. For the rest of my face (except for about a 3/4" strip all around the mouth), I substitute an ATG pass for the 2nd XTG pass.

Good luck!

I have very sensitive skin and prone to ingrowns and still can't manage ATG on the stache area often either, only on occasions that call for it. I settle for an all around DFS. I found that Feathers helped cut down on the amount of irritation I get, sharper blade=less passes (for me atleast). I do a WTG, and the modified ATG where the angle isn't straight S-N but a slightly more aggressive XTG and finish with a WTG pass. I still have a little stubblies but as long as SWMBO doesn't complain then it's acceptable. Oh, and watch your blade angle.

Couple of tips that work for my mustache area - not a visually problematic area for me, but I crave an utterly smooth upper lip, for my wife's benefit (which, of course, is mine as well).

1. WTG pass with minimal facial contortion
2. WTG pass with "lip curling" a la Joel's straight razor video*
3. XTG pass, with my tongue under my lip, pressing gently outward
4. ATG blade buffing. BE CAREFUL!

Using this approach, whether with a Rocket, Tech, Progress, you name it - BBS lip. Every. Single. Shave.

The most irritating part is the ATG buffing. If I got my whiskers nice and short in steps 1-3, it's usually a very smooth step four. However, step 4 is the only way I can get super smooth right under my nose. Also, don't be afraid to move your nose out of the way a bit with your finger. It makes the angle easier for your razor, and stretches the skin a bit.

*Here, I make something like 8+ downward strokes. Like Joel says, it looks like shaving over the same place repeatedly, but because of the curvature (left to right) you're only getting a narrow patch of hair with each pass.

HTH.

Hi There,

I'm into my second month of DE shaving & have probably cut myself more than I have ever done with 13 years of mach 3 shaving (5th repeat). Having said that, I'm not planning on reverting back to the mach3 anytime soon, since I really enjoy shaving with my safety razor. The only place where I regularly encounter problems are - 1) areas on one side of the jaw line, close to the chin, where it feels uneven & even minor attempts to go against the grain leaves my face feeling like an off road rally circuit & 2) the mOustache area, where I have cut myself a couple of new air ducts near my nostrils.

I've even tried stretching the insides of my mouth by using 2 fingers & looking like a stupid catfish. Still can't get a smooth shave in that area without repeatedly going over the same areas & getting a burning sensation.

Solution since last week: I just use my mach3 in this area & get done with it. No cuts, burning sensation...I'm happy, my nose is happy & I've been living happily ever after.

Top Bottom