What's new

Open Water Swimming

My first triathalon is 1 month. I'm nervous. I'm not worried about the bike. I'm not worried about the run. But a 600 yard open water swim scares me. It's not the distance, were it in a pool, I wouldn't worry, it's the open water. That's freaky. I've never been a water person so it's even more of a challenge.

Now that the weather is warming up here I'm trying to find a place that allows swimming so I can practice. Hopefully that will alleviate some fear.

Any advice on swimming in open water would be greatly appreciated.

Are triathlon wetsuits a worthwhile investment? And if so, what's a good starter wetsuit?

Last edited:
A tri wetsuit is definitely worth it. You can rent one from any number of online places and can probably find one locally to make sure it fits. My biggest concern for my first tri was drowning. The wetsuit provides enough bouyancy that that's not an issue.

I'd also recommend that you practice open water swimming in the wetsuit before the event. They feel really tight across the chest before they loosen up in the water, and some people get freaked out by that sensation.

Find a lake and work on sighting--pick a landmark on the shore and try to keep swimming towards it. Also, determine what goggles work for you--clear, mirrored, etc. You don't want to leave that to chance the morning of the event. I recommend clear and mirrored depending on whether it's sunny on the day of the tri.

If you can't find a lake to practice in, see if you can swim in a pool without lanes. It will have slightly larger waves than a pool with the lane dividers up. You can work on sighting in the pool, then, too.

Depending on the type of start, there's a good pool workout to get your heart rate up and simulate the anxiety of the start. Basically, you do as many push ups on the pool deck as you can, and then immediately dive in and swim 50 yards as fast as you can. Do a few of those and you'll get used to the heart rate/anxiety issues you may have with the swim start.

Next, have fun. It's a tri. Your nuts for even attempting it. :001_smile

Finally, rubbing alcohol does a nice job of removing the body markings.

Lots of good info.

I love open water swimming, or should I say loved, when I lived in CA. Lake swimming is a lot of fun and easier. One thing newbies have trouble with is their breathing and technique go out the window and they struggle and burn themselves out in the swim. Unless you are a strong swimmer and/or experience stay back in your start group. Let the faster swimmers go ahead because if you begin to fall behind you are going to get elbows and heels to the face and you may get pulled underneath when swimmers go over you. Not trying to add more anxiety but you need to be prepared if you get caught in it. So stay back if you're not to confident yet, you'll have a better time.

dklaiman touched on sighting, and that's important or you're going to be one of the fellows who start to head off into the sunset in a completely different direction. Without practicing sighting, it can be troublesome because most newer racers lift their head to high and there body line drops and your feet begin to drag. You should be peeking every few strokes. In IM or 1/2 Irons I swim two strokes to each side and breathe on each stroke to give ease fatigue. Short races, I breathe maybe every 4 strokes and just haul tail and sight about every 4 too.

If you need to take a break....do it. I can't stress that enough. You still have a bike and run ahead of you and if you have an off day swimming, you'll quickly forget about it.

To touch on wetsuits a bit. They are suppose to be tight on you when they're on you outside the water. Have someone take pictures of you putting one on the first time.....they are fun to put on. A tip....use Body Glide on your wrists, arms, ankles and legs. It helps and keeps you from creating sweat and then you'll never be able to put it on.

Most of all, have fun. They are a blast to do and fun to meet folks. Always say thank you to the volunteers while you're racing, cheer folks who are racing as you pass them because it feels great when you're in pain and want to quit and a little "way to go" goes a long way or people.

A tri wetsuit is definitely worth it. You can rent one from any number of online places and can probably find one locally to make sure it fits. My biggest concern for my first tri was drowning. The wetsuit provides enough bouyancy that that's not an issue.

I'd also recommend that you practice open water swimming in the wetsuit before the event. They feel really tight across the chest before they loosen up in the water, and some people get freaked out by that sensation.

Find a lake and work on sighting--pick a landmark on the shore and try to keep swimming towards it. Also, determine what goggles work for you--clear, mirrored, etc. You don't want to leave that to chance the morning of the event. I recommend clear and mirrored depending on whether it's sunny on the day of the tri.

If you can't find a lake to practice in, see if you can swim in a pool without lanes. It will have slightly larger waves than a pool with the lane dividers up. You can work on sighting in the pool, then, too.

Depending on the type of start, there's a good pool workout to get your heart rate up and simulate the anxiety of the start. Basically, you do as many push ups on the pool deck as you can, and then immediately dive in and swim 50 yards as fast as you can. Do a few of those and you'll get used to the heart rate/anxiety issues you may have with the swim start.

Next, have fun. It's a tri. Your nuts for even attempting it. :001_smile

Finally, rubbing alcohol does a nice job of removing the body markings.

Any thoughts on wetsuits? Brands? Sleeves or Sleeveless?

I've learned sleeveless are really loved by hardcore swimmer who need the mobility. I think it is just a preference.

I've used Ironman wetsuits when they were still names IM but now they are Blueseventy and they are wonderful suits.

Look into the entry level Xterra suits and Orca's all very well made suits. Xterra's are a little bit more snug than normal but there's no real issue. Their entry suits are very nice and well made and probably the ones I would look into.

I don't have any experience on 2XU suits but they have taken off in the wetsuit world.

One of the best suits I've ever used were Quintanaroo suits Superful's. Excellent suit but very expensive. Their entry ones had a reputation of not being a favorite.

But try the suits on. Pick two (anymore and it is just going to be a pain because you are going to be sweating so much) suits and see how they fit. Or try a higher end model and see and feel the difference.

I've always gone sleeveless because I wanted the mobility. I'm not sure it matters. Like Mark said, try a couple on and see what you like. I rented an Xterra for my first tri and really liked it. I bought a QR. It's nice, but I preferred the Xterra.

One of the best suits I've ever used were Quintanaroo suits Superful's. Excellent suit but very expensive. Their entry ones had a reputation of not being a favorite

This may explain why I preferred the Xterra to the QR.

-Dave

I rented an Xterra for my first tri and really liked it. I bought a QR. It's nice, but I preferred the Xterra.

Oh thanks for mentioning that Dave. Most shops that sell them also rent them. Try renting one and see how you like it.

One last piece of advice. If you're married, take off your ring before you start. You can find it if it falls off in a pool. If it falls of in a lake, you're buying a new one.

Top Bottom