What's new

Carry On Luggage Issues

Is it alright to carry on DE razors and blades on an airplane??

More seriously, welcome to B&B. Remember that all of us were new here, once, and probably all of your initial questions have been asked and answered elsewhere on the board. The Wiki isn't a perfect source of information, but we try.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I heard you can only bring razor blades on a plane if they are taped to the inside of the barrel on a 155 mm Howitzer Cannon.

Welcome to B&B :thumbup:

While I dislike them a lot, I generally carry a single blade throwaway in my carry on. If I am going for some time, then the Rolls get checked through. IMHO, that is the least troublesome way to do it. If you get to your destination on time, you don't have to use the disposable. If you get stuck due to volcanic eruptions, thunderstorms, atomic attacks, and the likes, you will still have a razor with you.

I have never had any trouble getting my shaving brush through in my carry-on. Although it is sometimes a problem getting a small enough tube of shaving cream, though.:001_rolle

:shaving:

Welcome to B&B :thumbup:

While I dislike them a lot, I generally carry a single blade throwaway in my carry on. If I am going for some time, then the Rolls get checked through. IMHO, that is the least troublesome way to do it. If you get to your destination on time, you don't have to use the disposable. If you get stuck due to volcanic eruptions, thunderstorms, atomic attacks, and the likes, you will still have a razor with you.

I have never had any trouble getting my shaving brush through in my carry-on. Although it is sometimes a problem getting a small enough tube of shaving cream, though.:001_rolle

:shaving:

Easiest way to avoid the shave cream worry is to take a shave stick with you. It is just a piece of soap after all.

Thanks for the great advice. Didn't think to check the wiki.

I know BBB has travel tubes of Proraso that I think are small enough for security.

You can bring a few blades in your Dopp kit, and if they find 'em just make a big show of, "can't believe I forgot those" - they're only a few cents each, no big deal if you lose one or two.

Alternately you can put them in your checked bags or ship them in an envelope to yourself.

I usually mail blades to the hotel I'll stay at.

Though the TSA has a way of overlooking blades. I might drop a few into the dopp kit and - if found - I'll apologize profusely and let them keep them.

The screening isn't all that thorough. One time, I had a folding pocketknife in my bag that I forgot was in there. It went right through the screening, no problem. I was shocked when I found it later.

Though the TSA has a way of overlooking blades. I might drop a few into the dopp kit and - if found - I'll apologize profusely and let them keep them.

The screening isn't all that thorough. One time, I had a folding pocketknife in my bag that I forgot was in there. It went right through the screening, no problem. I was shocked when I found it later.

Even though TSA can overlook things, if you get caught you can still get in trouble. A friend of mine went on R&R from Afghanistan with a 30 round magazine of ammo in his bag. TSA caught him on the WAY BACK to Afghanistan and they tossed him in the little customs jail at the airport. They finally let him out when he explained he was in the Army and that he had no idea they were in there

Shawn

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
You can bring a few blades in your Dopp kit, and if they find 'em just make a big show of, "can't believe I forgot those" - they're only a few cents each, no big deal if you lose one or two.

Alternately you can put them in your checked bags or ship them in an envelope to yourself.

Please do not post your stories about or advocate breaking the law.
It is against the rules of B&B and is not looked kindly upon.

Taking razor blades on a plane is a strict no-no and can result in detainment, fines and worse.

Just don't do it, and don't post input friendly to the idea of other people doing it.

Please do not post your stories about or advocate breaking the law.

I'm curious about this and not being an American am not sure where to look for information on American laws. In the UK I don't believe it is a criminal act (per se) to attempt to take razor blades onto an airplane although the airport/airline certainly have the option of refusing you access with them. I'm not saying that it's not illegal I just genuinely want to know and would appreciate any pointers.

Is the situation really different in the US, which law are you breaking in such a case?

I have found that UK baggage checks have smartened up considerably and having an obvious razor in you hand luggage will result in a search to make sure you don't have blades. It's a lot harder than it used to be to smuggle them through.

I get away with it (I believe) because they don't know what a shavette is - it doesn't say "razor" to them on the x-ray - and I snap my blades in half so they don't look classically razor blade like either.

Easiest way to avoid the shave cream worry is to take a shave stick with you. It is just a piece of soap after all.
An excellent suggestion. I usually like bringing a small tube of cream but now I'll go out and get a Palmolive shave stick. :thumbup1:

Trewornan (post #17) In the UK you are contravening the Aviation Security Act 1982 iirc...the items will be confiscated, you may be fined (heavily) and can be refused from your flight! Depending on your destination you can be refused entry and deported or jailed! Under ATOL rules the situation is pretty similar globally. It's just not worth it.

EDIT:Was posting from my phone so couldn't "quote".

Last edited:
I'm curious about this and not being an American am not sure where to look for information on American laws.

For current baggage regulations, see:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Going a little further into your comment on where to look for information on American laws, finding information on American laws can often be much more difficult in some respects than researching most other country's laws due to the fact that we do not have one nationalized body of laws. Being a republic, we have multiple layered jurisdictions (Federal, State, County, City/Town). Add to this the fact that each layer (theoretically at least) is constitutionally constrained into what they do and do not have jurisdiction over. (A fact often lost on our current administration.)

I have several non-USA-citizen attorney friends, and our layered jurisdictions drives them nuts!

Now throw into this mix the devilish concoction of "laws", "regulations" and "ordinances" and you will find yourself cursing bureaucracies 'til your dying day.

Prior to the Internet and computerized legal databases, legal research was a Herculean effort that took a lot of time and a HUGE well-stocked law library. What once took weeks of research, can now be done in minutes on Lexus-Nexis. If you are really curious, the entire US Code (federal laws) and the US Code of Federal Regulations, as well as most State Codes and County Ordinances can be found on the internet.

Top Bottom