What's new

brush recommendations please

I have been using the merkur silvertip badger brush that matches the Future, but am going to sell that set. i need a brush to replace it and would like some suggestions please. the only other brush i have used is the cheap van derhagen boar hair. i do like the coarser hair of the boar brush, but definitely favor the much superior lather making of the badger hair brush. any help would be greatly apprecciated.

Also i'm not interested in spending a significant amt of money $50 or up to $75 if i absolutely have to.

The Rooney size 1, with the 1,2 and 3 handle styles are $75 in Super. You could also try a number of Simpson brushes with Best hair (equivalent to the Rooney Super) in the $75 and under range. These would include the Berkeley and the Case.

Have you opened yourself to the possibility of simply using a better boar? Now, I have a pattern of only recommending boars (aside from the Rooney 1/1 Super), but I'm of the opinion that everyone can stand to try at least one quality boar until it's broken in. Head on over to Leon/Bruno's site Vintage Scent and pick up the tried and true Semogue 1305 shaving boar bristle brush. Great all around size and I doubt you'll be disappointed by the performance. In fact, since it's under $20, I say to pick up the plain jane little sister, the 1250. Slight difference in quality between the two bristle knots, even though they're the exact same diameter and loft.

I've never used the Futur brush, but I get the impression that you'd be well served by a shorter loft if you prefer the face feel of your boar.

I'm tempted to recommend going over to Truefitt & Hill's site and looking at the Silvertip Style 1 size 1 (looks stunning in horn, IMO). Use coupon code BB10 for 20% off, and it's about $63!

If you want something similar to your Merkur silvertip, go for a Edwin Jagger/Mühle silvertip (these two are the same, made by Mühle).
Btw, Mühle is cheaper than a EJ for the same knot size.

Face Lathering: Rooney style 1, small
Bowl Lathering: Rooney style 3, small

I'm sure there is a good Simpson or Vulfix, but I'll leave it to someone else to recommend an exact model.

Have you opened yourself to the possibility of simply using a better boar? Now, I have a pattern of only recommending boars (aside from the Rooney 1/1 Super), but I'm of the opinion that everyone can stand to try at least one quality boar until it's broken in. Head on over to Leon/Bruno's site Vintage Scent and pick up the tried and true Semogue 1305 shaving boar bristle brush. Great all around size and I doubt you'll be disappointed by the performance. In fact, since it's under $20, I say to pick up the plain jane little sister, the 1250. Slight difference in quality between the two bristle knots, even though they're the exact same diameter and loft.

I would say the same, but not having a Semogue I'll put in a word for the Omega 81052. It goes toe to toe with the Rooney 3/1 in my rotation. It does take some time for the bristles to break in, though: until this happens the brush may not hold enough lather for more than two passes. That's ok: you can always reload and lather again.

Check out Rudy Vey. It sounds like he's right around your price range. His work is exquisite. You can have a brush that is also a unique piece of art. You won't regret it.

Check out Rudy Vey. It sounds like he's right around your price range. His work is exquisite. You can have a brush that is also a unique piece of art. You won't regret it.

Thank you all for your responses. Unfortunately it doesn't appear anyone is interested in buying my Merkur Future 4pc. set of which the brush is a part. until it does sell I can't buy another so I will continue to use that brush for now. however i will keep your suggestions in mind when the time to get a new brush finally comes.

Top Bottom