What's new

What's your favorite DE HANDLE?

i gotta show some respect for the gillette aristocrat/president.

in my opinion, not only is it one of the prettiest handles that gillette ever made, but the balance and heft are wonderful and the grip is outstanding, the best of any of my razors.

I agree, out of my non-adjustable TTOs my Aristocrats are my favorites, the handles a little fatter then the Super Speed and the knurling is very grippy.

Gotta be the BullMastiff. I used it with the "new" head until recently. Now I can't make myself take the Ever-Ready 1912 single edge head off of it!!! It shaves great!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
i gotta show some respect for the gillette aristocrat/president. In my opinion, not only is it one of the prettiest handles that gillette ever made, but the balance and heft are wonderful and the grip is outstanding, the best of any of my razors.

That's what we're talkin' about! And the different knurling on the Executive!

proxy.php

Last edited:
Ball End Old Type, of which I have three, hands down. I don't think anything made by Gillette afterwards was an improvement with the exception of the Ball End NEW. Although I primarily use single edge razors as my daily shaver, when I do grab a DE it's usually one of the Ball End's, either the NEW or Old Type. I just love the feel and balance from the weight in the handle.

I am gonna have to vote for Bob's Razor Works Bull Mastiff handle.
I have shaved with nothing else since getting mine.
Bull Mastiff + Old Type head and my RAD was over.
Wp

This is a really good question...and a tough one to answer. I just have too many favorite razors! I seem to prefer either a heavier handle with a ball end, or a longer, lighter handle. My overall favorite is probably the Merkur HD, closely followed by the Ball-End Tech, with the Slim and 40's SS next in line. Nothing gives me as good a shave as the Slim, but nothing feels as natural in my hand as the HD.

Of what I own the beauty and shine design of the rhodium aristocrats, the New Improved/New Deluxe (weight and thickness) and ball end olds are hard to beat. Same with the slim, great length, though could be 'fatter'.

At the moment my favourites razor handles are CoonCatBob's Bull Mastiff and THIS ONE

I like my Parker 89r handle, so I've just ordered an Edwin Jagger head for it from The English Shaving Company. The Parker head is so poor the gaps for both sides are totally different.
Ian

i gotta show some respect for the gillette aristocrat/president.

in my opinion, not only is it one of the prettiest handles that gillette ever made, but the balance and heft are wonderful and the grip is outstanding, the best of any of my razors.

+1......In my book the 40s Aristocrat handle is unmatched.

My favs are the Gillette Big Fellow/Big Boy handles for weight, length, balance and grip. The Big Boy with the New Deluxe head makes for a particularly satisfying combination...:w00t:

My favorite eye candy is the Barber Pole knurling. But for grippiness - and this may be heretical considering all of the fine razors mentioned here - but the Flare tip Super Speeds that I own have the grippiest knurling, especially the TV Special.

-jim

I use my '47 SuperSpeed most, like it, then a Tech, fat handled or ball end. But when it comes to handles, far away the best is that fat chunk of stainless steel, hand turned and knurled, and heavy, the Bull Mastiff. The New head is a bit more aggressive than my regulars, but with that stainless handle leading the way... It's really a joy to look at, to hold and, of course, to shave. Thanks, Bob.

Favorite handles? I like ones that provide superior grip.

The Krona: Grippy, well balanced, and a touch longer than most Gillettes. One of the best plastic designs out there.

The Star: basically a Tech clone with a deeply knurled handle and tip. Probably the grippiest metal handle out there.

Flare Tip Rocket: Knurling is better than the standard Rocket, again a bit grippier than the standard Rocket, HD, or Aristocrat JR.

Although I rarely use it anymore, my favorite handle is on my Parker 65R. I bought the razor before finding this board and picked it for its looks. Now, it mostly hangs on a stand as bathroom decoration.

Top Bottom