What's new

Newbie - first report, slight burning sensation.

Hi guys (and girls?! :tongue_sm ),

Thought I'd say hello. Been lurking here for a while, and have read the many great threads, watched the videos, and took the plunge and bought some equipment to get myself started. I was going to dive straight into the deep end and get myself one of those Feather razors, but I thought it might be overkill for my first razor. I mean, you don't buy a Koenigsegg as your first sports car, right?

I ended up getting:

Molton Brown pre-shave wash type thing
Edwin Jagger Pure badger brush
Truefitt and Hill (Grafton) cream
Derby Extra blades (newer style - vertical writing)
Merkur 34C HD
Alum Bar
Nivea after shave balm

My first shave, yesterday was a joy. I had not shaved for over a week in anticipation of receiving my goodies to play with. I can tell you now, that normally, if I had used my vibrating Fusion, it would have definately pulled out my whiskers, and would have been an unpleasant experience.

From the start:

Showered, and used the Molton Brown pre-shave stuff. I have to tell you, I bulked at the price when I walked into the shop - £17 for about 125ml, as I've NEVER bought anything like this before. I'm a bit of a man's man, so I don't do all these ointments etc, so feel like a bit of a tart :blush: Anyways, this stuff seemed to do the job, but then again, I've got nothing to compare it to.

Made up a lather from the cream. Even though I've watched the videos, nothing can help you get it right apart from trying. My initial attempts were 5/10, although that was soon rectified by using a bit more cream (don't be shy guys!). Although, I admit, I can be a bit of a penny pincher at times. I don't like to waste stuff, so if I can make EXACTLY enough lather for 3 passes, say, that's what I intended to do. Unless you have no idea what quantities to use to start with :laugh: So I just made a load.

My brush seemed adequate, although I would have liked a longer handle, and it's not as smooth as I would have liked. Seemed a bit bristley, and there were a few hairs coming off it. I presume that this is because it's a new brush, and needs to be 'worn' in?

The razor. The Merkur HD which seems to be throughly recommended as a starter razor. Initially I thought the handle, again was too small, especially compared to my Fusion or King of Shaves (useless, btw). Although my worries were soon allayed when I started using it. Very nicely weighted, and easy to control. My only slight concern was that due to the small handle, when I was using it, and turning the razor round in my hand to use the other side, it started unscrewing in my palm, a tiny bit. A good tightening soon sorted that out.

Blades. Derby extra's. I've read about there being a debate as to whether these are as good as the old ones. Again, I've got nothing to compare it too. It seemed to cut well, LOTS better than the Fusion. I did 3 passes, only one tiny nick, and have to say, for my first attempt, although not perfectly smooth, when rinsing my face, you could tell, it was just a lot better than anything I had experienced before.

Admittedly, having done 3 passes, I had a couple of places (under my jowels) that I could still feel a bit stubbly, which annoyed me. But that's me being picky, no worse than the Fusion.

I rinsed off, used the Alum bar (it's a stinger!), left if for 45 secs, cold water rinse, then dried off. Felt lovely, but there was a bit of a burning sensation. Very much like when you go to the barber and have a straight edged used on the back bits of your neck (for those that have their hair short).

It wasn't super uncomfortable, but enough for me to go out and buy some Nivea after shave balm when I passed the shops later that morning.

Shaved again today with 2 passes, and did as above, but applied the balm straight away after drying off. Although it helps somewhat, it's still a bit 'burny'.

Now, I'm wondering whether it is my technique, the blades, lack of hydration in between shaves, more moisture needed in the lather, or whether I need to try some kind of different after shave balm, maybe containing eucylyptus/aloe vera (now that's not something I ever thought I would say :blink: )

It could be all the above, or none. How very frustrating. But, as I've read here, I will keep using the same tools for a month, not change any of the variables (apart from maybe an after shave balm), so I can get used to getting my technique right, and then start experimenting with different blades, brushes and creams.

Anyways, thanks for reading, I didn't mean to go on so much, but feels like I've completed some kind of 'right of passage', and wanted to pass on the news. Feel free to comment, or pass on any advice you may have.

I'm converted :thumbup:

Congratulations! I'm a big fan of the 'don't change too many variables at once' approach so I hope you will see some significant improvement over the next month (and beyond)!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

Make sure you don't apply any pressure!

Yip pressure is your biggest enemy when starting out, the HD is heavy fr a reason let the weight do the work. You will get the baby smooth results just practice with your technique, it will all come together and try and limit changing thngs too often

Welcome. For your first efforts with a DE, it sounds as if you have done a great job. I echo the comments about pressure- it does take a little while to get comfortable with the process but it is certainly worth it.
I'm not sure what sort of passes you are making, but while you are still in the beginning stage, I would stick to WTG and XTG before attempting an ATG pass. As your technique improves your results should naturally get better as well and then you can decide if you wish to shave Against The Grain too.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Welcome!! Good start! Slight burning may go away as your skin adjusts to the closer shave. In addition to the other comments, make sure you have a really good lather. Experiment with the water ratio until you have a really slick feeling (don't go by looks) lather.

Welcome to B&B, glad to have you aboard!

The burning is probably from too much pressure, or the wrong blade angle (which scrapes your skin along with cutting the whiskers). The good news is, practice makes perfect, so just keep working at it! :thumbup1:

I had a similar experience earlier today after my first full face two pass DE shave. There was some slight razor burn.

Other posters have suggested that too much pressure may be the cause. That may be. But in my case, I think the cause may have been too steep an angle. I did notice myself having to correct my angle on occasion. It is a hold-over from cartridge shaving where one holds the handle almost parallel to the face. With too steep an angle, I theorize that the blade tends to dig in a bit too much (actually it would tend to scrape along the face). Further experience might tell me whether this is true or no.

I did not use any after shave, just a cold water rinse. I think this may be a good idea at least until one discovers the cause of the problem. If one were to find an after-shave that "solved" the problem, would that not be like by-passing the feedback your face is giving you? Then you might never know what is working and what is not? No?

Top Bottom