What's new

Dumbest athletic event you attempted/completed

Azmark's lament about the lack of hills in AZ brought to mind the dumbest athletic event I did. I live in MN, which is about as flat as you'd think. One year a friend and I decided to do the Pike's Peak Marathon. You start about 3/4 of a mile from the base of the hiking trail, "run" to the peak, and then turn around and run back down. At least going up you got to enjoy the scenery. Going down, I just tried not to kill myself on rocks, tree roots, etc. It took slightly over 8 hours, but at least I still have the shirt.

A few friends and I did the Wild Miles Relay race from Borrego Springs, CA to San Diego. It's a 183 mile relay race that is non stop and has to be completed in 2 days. It is 30 legs and each leg has a variety of degree which left the team of 10 to strategize. Some legs were 4 miles some 13. We finished it in 36 hours if I remember correctly. Brutally painful but it was nice seeing the sun rise while you run.

Bull in the Ring. Everyone gets into a pit that's about a shoulder level deep. Once you've been thrown out, you're done. Last man standing is the winner. Ouch.

Bull in the Ring. Everyone gets into a pit that's about a shoulder level deep. Once you've been thrown out, you're done. Last man standing is the winner. Ouch.

Yeah, that one sucks. Combat soccer one platoon against another with multiple balls isn't any fun either.

For solo events, the Dizzy Izzy. That thing kicks my butt.

For solo events, the Dizzy Izzy.

I didn't know there was a name for that other than bat races. My college had Grinnell Relays the same weekend as Drake Relays. While the latter was a series of athletic events, ours was basically drinking relay races. The bat races were a huge hit.. We had to chug a beer before we started the run (about 50 yards if I remember correctly), before we started to spin on the bat, and then when we got back to the starting line (before we handed the bat over to the next person in line).

Remind me to delete this post before my kids ask me about college and I respond that all I did was study.

I didn't know there was a name for that other than bat races. My college had Grinnell Relays the same weekend as Drake Relays. While the latter was a series of athletic events, ours was basically drinking relay races. The bat races were a huge hit.. We had to chug a beer before we started the run (about 50 yards if I remember correctly), before we started to spin on the bat, and then when we got back to the starting line (before we handed the bat over to the next person in line).

Remind me to delete this post before my kids ask me about college and I respond that all I did was study.

If I had to drink and do the Dizzy Izzy...:crazy::crazy:

Before deploying I conceived of a team building exercise consisting of two events I later came to regret...a lot...because they were rather painful:

1) Tasing each other
2) Spraying each other with Fox Pepper Spray ("Most pepper sprays are between 1/2 million and 2 million Scoville Heat Units. Fox pepper spray is refined to 5.3 million Scoville Heat Units; that's like the difference in heat between paper burning (451 degrees F) and a blue-hot blowtorch (2000 degrees F. At an incredible 5.3 million Scoville Heat Units, Fox Labs pepper spray breaks the world record for creating the most effective pepper spray products ever.") and then extracting yourself and a mannequin from an over-turned vehicle while the rest of the team shot paintballs at you.

Athletic? Only in the sense that you had to do a pushup to get off the ground after you were tased and crumpled to the ground. Idiotic? Yes.

Top Bottom