What's new

Rooney, Shavemac or Simpson?

I have been reading through the reviews and looking at various brushes to use primarily as a soap brush. I have narrowed it down to several choices. The Simpson Chubby or Tulip 1 Super 2-Band Badger Shaving Brush, the Rooney Style 1 Size 1 and a Shavemac Extra Silver Tip Quality D01 with a 20 mm knot. Right now I am leaning toward the Shavemac. Is there something out there I should be considering? Has anybody used more than one of these and if so, which did you prefer? The Vulfix I am using now seems too floppy with soaps and I find myself using my Wee Scot.

Last edited:
All excellent choices. You're pretty much nailing the top brushes by each manufacturer. You honestly can't go wrong with any of them for soaps. I haven't tried the Tulip but I do have the Chubby CH1 in 2-Band...23mm knot/48mm loft...fantastic brush that I really can't recommend enough. You should never need another brush unless SBAD takes over or you feel the need to try a larger brush.

I am fortunate enough to have the Rooney 1/1 Finest...it's a fantastic brush, the handle is taller than the Chubby CH1 and the loft I believe is set at around 44mm. It's a soap killer for sure, very scrubby in keeping with it's loft...compared side by side to the chubby...handle is more comfortable (taller)...knot is denser...it's definitely more 'prickly' which takes some getting used to...and has about the same amount of backbone...a very unique brush. Some of these characteristics will be there in the 1/1 heritage as well as the regular silver tip.

The D01 is a great grade and one that I haven't tried. There are enough fans on the forum and it would also be a great choice. A lower loft would be preferred if you're going for soaps.

To sum it up, I just can't recommend the Chubby CH1 2-band enough...the only negative would be the small handle but if you face lather, this really doesn't pose an issue...

Hope this helps...once SBAD kicks in, I believe you'll end up having a sample of each that you've listed...then the fun really begins :)

I own a wee scot, great little brush, I use mainly for travel in my medicine bottle. I own shavemac, vulvix, and several simpson.

I would recommend the shavemac for you sir, you cannot go wrong there! If you can learn to face lather with the wee scot, you will be able to use ANY brush in your shaving future with ease! It's a little testy at times for me anyways. Dont shy away from it though.

GL2U

I would definitely recommend the CH1 or T2 in Two-band, great brushes.

If you get the Shavemac make sure you get a custom shortened loft.

I've used most of those combinations you have but just finally got my hands on a CH1 two band and by far my favorite brush for face lather soaps. Amazing!

The Simpson Eagle in Best is going to be a classic for soaps. Go to the link to order and hope is not too late

The Simpson Eagle in Best is going to be a classic for soaps. Go to the link to order and hope is not too late

Thanks. I got in on this order late last night while they were still taking orders. I have a Wee Scot which also uses the Best Badger. I think this will serve my needs well and it's for a great cause.

Top Bottom