What's new

Monday Bloody Monday

Here's my experience with my just-received Merkur Progress:

First, the razor came with no instructions on how to use it or how to adjust the settings. But since I've been using a Merkur HD up til now, I assume I can figure out how to use the Progress on my own. Big Mistake.

I load the blade and, thinking that I've done this properly, I begin my usual shave routine (I shave in the shower).
I begin reducing my quandrants as usual, and then the blood begins to flow.

Nicks. Deep nicks. Multiple nicks. My tub is starting to look like the Janet Leigh shower scene in "Psycho". I'm getting a close shave, but this is ridiculous.

Then I do what I should have done in the first place--check the resources at Badger and Blade. Lo and behold, I didn't tighten the blade properly, so I was shaving on a W-I-D-E open setting. Duh!! No wonder my face looks like it had been on a bird hunting trip with the vice president.
While I blame myself for not getting educated before using a new razor, I'm puzzled as to why the device came without an owner's manual. (BTW--I've seen vendors other than where I got my Progress depicting the razor as coming housed in a plastic container, while mine came in a cardboard box. I'm wondering if the company I purchased from didn't send me everthing I should have received...?)

billyjeff2 said:
Here's my experience with my just-received Merkur Progress:

First, the razor came with no instructions on how to use it or how to adjust the settings. But since I've been using a Merkur HD up til now, I assume I can figure out how to use the Progress on my own. Big Mistake.

I load the blade and, thinking that I've done this properly, I begin my usual shave routine (I shave in the shower).
I begin reducing my quandrants as usual, and then the blood begins to flow.

Nicks. Deep nicks. Multiple nicks. My tub is starting to look like the Janet Leigh shower scene in "Psycho". I'm getting a close shave, but this is ridiculous.

Then I do what I should have done in the first place--check the resources at Badger and Blade. Lo and behold, I didn't tighten the blade properly, so I was shaving on a W-I-D-E open setting. Duh!! No wonder my face looks like it had been on a bird hunting trip with the vice president.
While I blame myself for not getting educated before using a new razor, I'm puzzled as to why the device came without an owner's manual. (BTW--I've seen vendors other than where I got my Progress depicting the razor as coming housed in a plastic container, while mine came in a cardboard box. I'm wondering if the company I purchased from didn't send me everthing I should have received...?)

Billy,

It's a pretty common complaint that they don't come with any instructions, so you are not alone. At least you now have it figured out. Oh, and in the movie, that was Hershey's Chocolate Syrup in the shower...it's a black and white movie!

Randy

Billy, sorry for the blood letting but now you know. Each shave will get better brother.

BTW is your avatar the dude from eraserhead?

Much, much better results today. Now I love my new Progress. What a difference a day makes.

(and, yes, that's Henry)

FYI, I bought my Progress from ClassicShaving, and it only came in a cardboard box with a single blade (which, in my inexperience, I actually tried to shave with). The only vendor I found who sells the Progress with the plastic case and a 10-pack of Merkur blades is Em's Place.

Mike

Merkur (Dovo) packages the Progress razor in a cardboard box and a plastic case with 10 blade pack as different skus. There is a difference of approximately $10.00 retail. Some vendors, to include Em's Place and The Knife Center sell the Progress with the case and blades.

Top Bottom