What's new

Simpson's Manchurian?

So Simpson's Manchurian brushes have me interested, what are they? Where did they go, are they the 2-band brushes currently being sold just rebadged? Also is it true Charles Robert's of method shaving fame named them? Are they still availible in any form? Pics? Basically I'm asking this because I am far more brushed obsessed than I should be and a cool name like Manchurian is thus extremely interesting to me.

Regards Grant

It was the 2nd of those threads that set me wondering about the fate of the manchurian after 07? No I had not seen the 1st thread thanks but does anyone know anything recent about the Manchurian?

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Well im not an authority, but ill chime in with what I have learned. The Simpson 2 band supers were names Manchurian at the "request" of Charles Roberts. The brushes were extra super in that they were just a bit above the levels of the supers. They had white tips and were two bands. They were sold at a premium over the supers.

Sadly, they are no longer available for purchase, and I havent really seen any come up for sale via BST. I have heard that the current two bands do compare to the Manchurians, but I couldnt tell you for sure.

The original Manchurians were stamped as Extra Super and available only from from Charles Roberts of Enchante. They were supposedly a super premium grade of hair that was being produced and market exclusively for Enchante.

The name Manchurian had nothing to do with 2 band. Many were two band in appearance because of the longer white tips these brushes had, but the 2 banded coloring was not what designated a brush as Extra Super. I have one of the original Chubby 3 Extra Supers in my collection that personally belonged to Charles. Though I've never used it, it is not 2 band by any means. I keep it only as a display piece.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
The original Manchurians were stamped as Extra Super and available only from from Charles Roberts of Enchante. They were supposedly a super premium grade of hair that was being produced and market exclusively for Enchante.

The name Manchurian had nothing to do with 2 band. Many were two band in appearance because of the longer white tips these brushes had, but the 2 banded coloring was not what designated a brush as Extra Super. I have one of the original Chubby 3 Extra Supers in my collection that personally belonged to Charles. Though I've never used it, it is not 2 band by any means. I keep it only as a display piece.

I like my version better :p

OK so they were a marketing ploy for Charles to sell his Method of shaving rather than a functionally improved Simpsons?

Regards Grant

Mike, thank you for explaining this.

+1

It sounds like, if someone were in the market for such a brush and one were available, the Manchurian would make an excellent candidate.

Top Bottom