What's new

Now to find a razor....

lol maybe... I have been trying to some research on razors and blades as to what I should start off with so i am not buying a ton of stuff before I find what I like.

What you urgently need are some educated advice to make that start.

Why not make it with a nice Ball End Gold Tech. I have one to spare.

Vijay

S

stubble trouble

dude, go with the tech. I started with the same merkur34c I use today - but I honestly wish I would have gone vintage first.:lol:

Don't worry too much about your first razor. It probably won't be your last one. Hit the antique and junk stores and see what you find. You might score a bargain that will leave B&B jealous. If you don't find anything, look at the usual suspects here. A lot of Merkurs are popular and my favorite is the DE89L. But don't worry too much - you need to put that cream and beautiful brush to work!

If you are of a mechanical bent, then perhaps you can pick up a Rolls in one of those shops. Just check to be sure it has the following:

1. A blade

2. A handle for the blade

3. Strop without deep cuts (but strops are rather easily replaced)

4. Hone is not cracked. A few marks can be polished out if necessary, but a cracked hone can be a lot of work to repair, and replacements are very hard to come by.

5. If you do get one, PM one of the old Rolls Hands about cleaning it up, you do not want to oil the wrong part!

On the other hand, if you feel intimidated by one of these devices, by all means, leave it for later. Rolls made a tons of them, and a lot of them wound up on shelves with "low mileage", so they seem to be available for some time to come.

:shaving: and welcome

What you urgently need are some educated advice to make that start.

Why not make it with a nice Ball End Gold Tech. I have one to spare.

Vijay

Thanks for the offer but I think I am going to go with something new for my first DE.

Merkur HD, (34) or Merkur HD "barber pole" (38-C).

Cannot go wrong with either one of these for starters. I agree with previous posters, do your own research too. fyi, the 38-C model allots several color variations as well, they look pretty cool IMO.

fyi, the 38-C model allots several color variations as well, they look pretty cool IMO.

Yes, and I wish I'd known that before I bought. I got a plain 38C, which is fine, but it would've been nice to be aware of the varieties. Oh well.

BTW, would y'all really recommend a slant for a newbie? I thought those were for later.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Nice! Love the wooden handle! You can't go wrong with Proraso. Merkur is an excellent choice!

Welcome to B+B. Seeing as you are going to buy a new razor as your first DE, it is hard to beat Merkur as a choice. Otherwise, you could browse the B/S/T Forum and buy a gently used one there from a trusted B+B member (the advantage to buying "used" is that if you don't like the razor, you can normally re-sell it for pretty much what you paid for it).
Good luck in any case!

Top Bottom