What's new

Grandpa's Wonder Pine Tar Soap as Shampoo Bar

I have a trouble spot of dry skin on my scalp. Have had it for years and tried every home remedy known to man...

Recently I tried using Grandpa's Pine Tar as a shampoo bar. This trouble spot has really cleared up.

Although the scent (odor!) isn't the best, it dissipates quickly. Anyone else have good luck using this as shampoo? I may never use anything else.

I have a trouble spot of dry skin on my scalp. Have had it for years and tried every home remedy known to man...

Recently I tried using Grandpa's Pine Tar as a shampoo bar. This trouble spot has really cleared up.

Although the scent (odor!) isn't the best, it dissipates quickly. Anyone else have good luck using this as shampoo? I may never use anything else.

You may want to reconsider your usage, or at least investigate further, as pine tar is carcinogenic.

I use Grandpa's Pine Tar soap regularly, both as a body bar and shampoo bar. It's great and I enjoy the fragrance but am glad it rinses off and doesn't hang around. Recently, I've been following up with a shampoo of Dr. Bonner's Peppermint liquid soap. Good results.

I might be mistaken, and pardon me if I am, but you may be thinking of coal tar, not pine tar.

Coal tar definitely, but IIRC, Pine Tar also contains creosote (sp?) which is an irritant and known carcinogen.

edit: quick google confirms my memory. however, I suppose it is possible to remove teh creosote during manufacturing. or apparently, to use a different process.

edit 2:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5465183_health-risks-pine-tar-soap.html said:
  1. Creosote
  2. Most pine tar and pine oil is made using a closed-kiln process that keeps it pure. If pine tar is made in an open kiln, the smoke and little fragments of unburned wood can come in contact with the tar and result in the creation of creosote, a known carcinogen.

A 2003 study by the Scientific Committee on Cosmetic Products and Non-Food Products found that "wood tar and wood tar preparations do pose a health risk when used in used in cosmetic products."

For this reason, most commercially produced pine tar soaps say "Creosote-free" right on the label.

also from the same page:

One potential toxin found in pine tar soap is 1,4 dioxane, also just called dioxane. This is not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration because it's not an ingredient itself; it's a byproduct of other ingredients. Studies done by the Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry have shown that dioxane at high doses can cause kidney and liver damage, and has been proven to cause irritation to the nose and mouth when inhaled as vapor. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 1,4-dioxane is "reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen."

Though most soaps and cosmetics contain only trace amounts of dioxane, some exceed the FDA's recommended exposure levels.

Last edited:
Thank you for that! Never knew pine tar (which we used on the farm as a kid) had creosote.

You're welcome. Tho, "could have" might be a more accurate statement. Still, I wouldn't take the chance. Dioxane sounds equally bad for you.

That's true, and you'd probably have to use it for years on end to get any real risk from the likely low level creosote that may be present. Too bad though - Grandpa's always did lather up right nice for me (never used it to shave, tho). Liked the smell, too.

I emailed Grandpa's website and this is the response:

Thank you for your interest in Grandpa Brands Company. Our pine tar is obtained via a closed-kiln process. We have had the product tested and no creosote was detected.

Sincerely,

Kimberly Greer
Grandpa Brands Company

I use Wright's Traditional Coal Tar Soap. Almost exclusively now as I love the smell and squeaky clean feeling after use. I do lament it's reformulation to include just a Coal Tar fragrance and not the actual coal tar extracts that it used to use. Something's are never the same.

I did recently switch to Christina May's Pine Tar Soap and am now loving using that. A very similar soap chemically but a truly different colour and scent.

Coal tar definitely, but IIRC, Pine Tar also contains creosote (sp?) which is an irritant and known carcinogen.

edit: quick google confirms my memory. however, I suppose it is possible to remove teh creosote during manufacturing. or apparently, to use a different process.

edit 2:

also from the same page:

There are creosote free versions. You just have to check.

I ended up here because i have a bar of Grandpa's brand pine tar soap on my desk.
Glad to know it's closed kiln & creosote free!

For dan(d)ruff I use Tea Tree Oil.
Just don't let too much get in your ears. Tea tree oil is good stuff, but it supposedly can cause hearing loss.

Top Bottom