What's new

Dave Ross on Arizona Immigration Law SB1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm a little fuzzy on this stuff, but I don't think the US deports illegal aliens that commit felonies like rape. Misdemeanors usually get a ticket out of the country, but not violent felonies.

Moreover, I would have a hard time believing that an illegal immigrant with a clean record who posts bond can get "work papers and a driver's license." Mr. Ross seems to be suggesting that getting arrested somehow legalizes their status and paves the way toward citizenship. I'm not an Arizonan, but if that's what the law allows they might have to amend it.

Maybe I'm a little fuzzy on this stuff, but I don't think the US deports illegal aliens that commit felonies like rape. Misdemeanors usually get a ticket out of the country, but not violent felonies.

Moreover, I would have a hard time believing that an illegal immigrant with a clean record who posts bond can get "work papers and a driver's license." Mr. Ross seems to be suggesting that getting arrested somehow legalizes their status and paves the way toward citizenship. I'm not an Arizonan, but if that's what the law allows they might have to amend it.

I believe illegal aliens who commit felonies must be tried and serve their sentence. They are then tossed out. The state of Texas executed an illegal alien some time ago under protest of the Mexican government.

I haven't quite grasped the connection between "being arrested" and "being eligible for work papers" that is centerpiece of his argument. I guess if you only have a minute for commentary then context and logical development of your argument has to go out the window.

Whatever stirs a controversy. This is what sb1070 reads.
IF AN ALIEN WHO IS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES IS
28 CONVICTED OF A VIOLATION OF STATE OR LOCAL LAW, ON DISCHARGE FROM
29 IMPRISONMENT OR ASSESSMENT OF ANY FINE THAT IS IMPOSED, THE ALIEN SHALL BE
30 TRANSFERRED IMMEDIATELY TO THE CUSTODY OF THE UNITED STATES IMMIGRATION AND
31 CUSTOMS ENFORCEMENT OR THE UNITED STATES CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION.

I wish people would read the bill before weighing in on it. It takes 5 or so minutes to do so. I continue to hear arguements from both sides that are invaild due hearsay.

Whatever stirs a controversy. This is what sb1070 reads.
IF AN ALIEN WHO IS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES IS
28 CONVICTED OF A VIOLATION OF STATE OR LOCAL LAW, ON DISCHARGE FROM
29 IMPRISONMENT OR ASSESSMENT OF ANY FINE THAT IS IMPOSED, THE ALIEN SHALL BE
30 TRANSFERRED IMMEDIATELY TO THE CUSTODY OF THE UNITED STATES IMMIGRATION AND
31 CUSTOMS ENFORCEMENT OR THE UNITED STATES CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION.

I wish people would read the bill before weighing in on it. It takes 5 or so minutes to do so. I continue to hear arguements from both sides that are invaild due hearsay.

If our President, Attorney General and Director of Homeland Security don't have time to read the law before commenting on it why should we have to? It is more fun to make uninformed comments on a law than doing all that boring reading.:lol:

I thought wishful thinking was what got the law passed in the first place.

You got a problem with that?:001_cool::rolleyes::cool: If we close our eyes and wish real, real hard, and if we pass enough state laws, nobody will cross our border with Mexico even if we (and I do mean we) keep hiring them at ten times what they could earn in Mexico.

If the majority really cared about illegal immigration, we'd pass a law imposing severe penalties on employers. That would stop the problem overnight. But the employers are making sure that no such law will be passed. And the rest of us don't want to pay $5 for a tomato.

If our President, Attorney General and Director of Homeland Security don't have time to read the law before commenting on it why should we have to? It is more fun to make uninformed comments on a law than doing all that boring reading.:lol:

THIS...
is really scarry.

Luckily I'm speechless so the rest of my post is blank.

We've already had enough discussion on this topic. It's very controversial and very heated, most often for those topics B&B is not the appropriate venue.

We've already had threads on this shut down. For now this one is being left open, but everyone tread very lightly.

Thank you. :smile:

You might be surprised at how rarely our legislators read what they vote on. I spent a session as chief of staff for a state senator once and I had to read and prep summaries each night of what would be voted on the next day. Included in the suumary was my recommendation of how to vote. Seriously.

When the senator didn't have time to read my summaries, I was taken to the floor and told the senator how to vote as the bills came up.

And I wasn't the only staffer who was doing this.

So I wasn't half surprised when this came up. They were probably waiting for their staffs to read and digest the bill for them. I'm not excusing them by any means, but this is the reality of American politics. Both sides of the aisle, as well.

You might be surprised at how rarely our legislators read what they vote on. I spent a session as chief of staff for a state senator once and I had to read and prep summaries each night of what would be voted on the next day. Included in the suumary was my recommendation of how to vote. Seriously.

When the senator didn't have time to read my summaries, I was taken to the floor and told the senator how to vote as the bills came up.

And I wasn't the only staffer who was doing this.

So I wasn't half surprised when this came up. They were probably waiting for their staffs to read and digest the bill for them. I'm not excusing them by any means, but this is the reality of American politics. Both sides of the aisle, as well.

Oh, I know it is reality. It is things like this why the approval rating of our president and congress are very low.

And the rest of us don't want to pay $5 for a tomato.

You think you're not paying $5 for a tomato now? Sure you may not be paying it at the grocery store, but you are every month when you pay your ever increasing health insurance premiums so that they can cover the tens of millions of dollars in free health care that illegal immigrants receive every year. You're paying it in taxes so that we can continue to fund the social programs that they flock here to leech off of, or in California where tax dollars pay to house and feed inmates and over one third of our prison population is comprised of ILLEGAL immigrants.

People that do not live in Arizona and want to lambast this law should step up and invite illegal aliens to your state. Give them your jobs and let them fill up your emergency rooms. Invite them in to your schools where they suck up educational $$. Give them your identities to make it easier for them to get jobs.

Until you live in a border state and experience the significance of these problems first hand, I don't think you should be too harsh on AZ politicians.

Also, many people seem to forget the difference between immigrants and illegal aliens. Immigrants of the past wanted to become US Citizens. Most illegal aliens have no interest in becoming US Citizens. They still have allegiance to their homeland.

You think you're not paying $5 for a tomato now? Sure you may not be paying it at the grocery store, but you are every month when you pay your ever increasing health insurance premiums so that they can cover the tens of millions of dollars in free health care that illegal immigrants receive every year. You're paying it in taxes so that we can continue to fund the social programs that they flock here to leech off of, or in California where tax dollars pay to house and feed inmates and over one third of our prison population is comprised of ILLEGAL immigrants.

Please don't be mad at the tomatoes. It's not their fault they're a fruit everyone thinks is a vegetable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom