What's new

Recommendations?

New to DE shaving and just purchased my first SS razor...Not wanting to spend a lot of money right off the bat what are some good brushes that you guys could recommend for a beginner. What are the differences and some of the things to look for? Thanks.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Best value for money that I know is the Omega boar brush. Very good, cheap (~$10) and durable.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I never had one but it's supposed to be a fine brush. Have a look at the review section.

My first one I bought, and one I continue to use, is the C&E BBB. This was made for C&E by Edwin Jagger. The Edwin Jagger medium best badger is essentially the same thing and is available from The English Shaving Company for roughly $35 with free shipping until Father's Day. Available in several handle colors. Take a look.

thanks for the input I went ahead and went with the tweezerman as it was lowing in cost...Im beginning to see how all this adds up quite fast.

You will not be disappointed. As the hobby sucks you deeper and deeper you may use that Tweezerman as a travel brush and add a few "fancier" brushes to your collection. Lock up your credit cards.

the tweezerman is superb.. I used one for over a year and only just got around to replacing it with a super badger brush. TBH I dont feel like ive gained all that much. Thats not to belittle the Super badger brush, just a comment on how good i felt the tweezerman was.

After a year of regular use, it looked good as new, build quality was ace, and the soft, yet firm bristles worked well. Always got a good lather with it.

Highly recommended

I think the best way to get a brush is to first look at the reviews of different brushes. That way you can see how others feel about the brushes that catch your fancy. Then look at the shave sites and the pictures and descriptions of them. Then decide what you'd like to try. You don't have to go overboard price wise, but don't let price alone be the deciding factor. You can go to a Wall Mart and get a good started brush to get you going, but you'll probably want something better pretty quick. At the shave sites you'll be able to find a good boar brush in the $20.00 region, which is not out of line. :001_rolle

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I used to be pro-on man for the Tweezerman as a first badger, but I have recently discovered the 9 dollar Shea Moisture Shave Brush at Target.
This is a great starter brush, and with the savings, you can grab one of the and an Omega Boar for your hard milled soaps.

Boar is always the cheapest option. Edwin jagger do good cheap entry level badger brushes too especially for those in the uk

First:
proxy.php

You will not be disappointed. As the hobby sucks you deeper and deeper you may use that Tweezerman as a travel brush and add a few "fancier" brushes to your collection. Lock up your credit cards.
proxy.php

Boar is always the cheapest option. Edwin jagger do good cheap entry level badger brushes too especially for those in the uk

+1

One Tweezerman and one Boar brush makes a good inexpensive start.
proxy.php

I have several brushes, two Tweezerman, one for travel one for home.
I have refit classic handles or made my own handles.
Recently, I have had Rudy Vey and Cooncatbob make brushes for me as well.

Luc is right it can be pricey.
Start slowly,
John

Top Bottom