What's new

Newbie Questions

Hey everyone,

I am brand new and trying to cover all my bases here. I am purchasing gillette SS for my first safety razor and am trying to figure out the right combo of soaps or creams to use. I have oily sensitive skin that is prone to acne, and have found any product with lanolin in it really causes a flare up. I follow a skin care regimen recommended by my dermatologist. But since I am going from electric to a safety razor I don't have the first clue as to what soap/cream to use as well as an astringent to follow up...I am trying to find a good regimen so that it doesn't cause more acne then I already have. Thanks.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I would go with Proraso Sensitive (White tub).

I would suggest you consider how to incorporate any new products with your prescribed skin care routine. I recommend you use a soap or cream with no scent, such as AOS unscented. There are many other suitable soaps or creams. Usually they are ones that are for those with sensitive skin.

Do you use any astringent now? Anything with alcohol? While alcohol seems like a good idea for it's antiseptic qualities, it can be very irritating to tender skin. I would steer clear of AS or ASB with a heavy scent. Use only light products and use them sparingly.

You can test anything (soap, cream, AS, whatever) by applying a small amount of it to the inside of your arm and letting it stay there for a while. If there is any indication of sensitivity, do not use it on your freshly shaven face.

Good luck.

my current face wash regiment is a gel soap followed by a light acne/oil fighting moisturizer. I am thinking about adding an astringent. So if I were to just get AOS, then shave, would I follow that with my wash, astringent then moisturizer?

my current face wash regiment is a gel soap followed by a light acne/oil fighting moisturizer. I am thinking about adding an astringent. So if I were to just get AOS, then shave, would I follow that with my wash, astringent then moisturizer?

If I were going to add an astringent, such as witch hazel, I would get Thayer's unscented, non-alcohol with aloe vera. I started using it a few months ago and find I like it. There is no burn and it seems to have soothing and calming qualities after shaving. I just let it dry and then apply a small quantity of my ASB (Nivea Replenishing balm or Nivea for Sensitive skin).

As for the order, I would wash first, then shave, apply stringent followed by moisturizer.

Top Bottom