What's new

Balm or splash first?

A few of the guys in another thread mentioned using splash-on aftershaves, followed by an aftershave balm. I've been doing the opposite, balm before splash-on. (Occasionally, I will use with hazel before either of them.) Balm not only soothes the skin, it moisturizes it, too, reducing the potential damage from the alcohol in the splash-on that comes next. Am I doing it wrong? Is one order of application better than another? Why? Thanks for any insights.

I usually use one or the other, not both together. In the fall and winter I use balm for the extra moisturizing, and to sooth dry skin. In the summer I use a refreshing splash only.

I splash then balm.

My theory is that the splash tones and tightens the pores then the balm comes along and soothes and cools.

I would think that the balm would cause a barrier that would prevent the splash from doing anything if done in reverse order.

I usually warm water rinse, witch hazel splash, cold water rinse and then either A/S splash ORA/S balm but never both.

I like to finish with a balm of some sort. If I decide to use an aftershave, I finish with something like Corn Huskers or Nivia Sensitive ASB, mainly because they have no scent and don't interfere with aftershave's scent and they are not greasy or oily.

I just tried balm first, and I like it. I'll have to give it a few more tries with different products to experiment.

I didn't think you were meant to do both. You either splash on aftershave or you rub on some balm and then spray on some cologne. That's what I do anyway.

i balm then splash...here's my reasoning.

the shaving process has removed whiskers but has also irritated and possibly removed some skin. it's at this point that a balm can do the most good. it hydrates and moisturizes the skin and the aloe/witch hazel components can help to reduce irritation and redness before it can become real razor burn.

after the balm has had a chance to soothe the skin for a few minutes, i then apply some after shave to seal any open pores, kill any remaining bacteria and finish off with a nice scent.

i have no idea if this is right or wrong, but it's what seems to work best for me. when i do it the opposite way, i find my skin can burn and get more irritated from the splash and then feels a bit tacky after the balm.

this way works for me. YMMV of course.

seems to me that the alcohol will basically negate the moisturizing properties of the balm (i.e. wash it off).

I always use splash first.

Top Bottom