What's new

First Restore (Fuller)

Got the brush off the bay awhile back. Got the hair out and cleaned up the inside. To my disappointment it was hollow in the handle :(

Worked out well though, I filled the hole with copperplated lead shot and filled the voids with epoxy. Added a little heft for sure.

I went with a 22mm Silvertip Grade A knot with extra stuffing from TGN. Gorgeous knot that bloomed out extremely evenly. Lost about 6-8 hairs.
Whipped up some Proraso like a PRO. Held a ton of cream compared to my Tweezerman. Can't wait to feel it on my face and shave with it!

Here she is:

proxy.php

proxy.php

And some comparison shots with my Tweezerman. This new one feels like twice the brush!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Very nicely done. That old handle is a shape I have never seen. Filling it up with lead should give it a fine feel.

Hollow is good....it makes setting your loft easier.

Very nicely done. That old handle is a shape I have never seen. Filling it up with lead should give it a fine feel.

Hollow is good....it makes setting your loft easier.

Actually wasn't completely hollow. Was basically just a smaller hole inside the handle. It was actually tough getting the 22 mm knot in there. I had to thin the walls down a bit.

Thanks for the complements. And yes... there's three more from the bay already:
proxy.php

I'm especially excited about the one on the left.

That left hand one is very interesting..... :thumbup1:

Most of the dual colours are coloured on the bottom and black on the top.

Very unique looking brush ( at least to me ) :biggrin1:

Nice job on the restore! FWIW, all of the 7 or so brushes I have restored have had hollow handles. I just fill them with BB's and epoxy, then redrill to the desired loft setting, and set the knot!

Really digging that handle. I believe I put a bid in on that, actually. It's unique, but I imagine very useful. I'm sure this is an excellent brush w/the Grade-A TGN :thumbup:

Really digging that handle. I believe I put a bid in on that, actually. It's unique, but I imagine very useful. I'm sure this is an excellent brush w/the Grade-A TGN :thumbup:

Shaved with it this morning. Face lathered w/ Arko so I could get maximum face time with it. Super soft!
Actually had my very best shave yet this morning. I'm usually an evening shaver because of time constraints but this morning I had plenty of time to shave so I did.

I'm fast becoming a soaps guy so a super soft brush probably wasn't exactly what I needed but I guess that's why I have three more on the way. :)

Last edited:
It's nice to see some more Iowa people in here. That is a great looking restore, I like the unusual shape of the handle, never seen one like that before. Congrats and good luck with the next handles. Be sure to post the pics when you are done.

It's nice to see some more Iowa people in here. That is a great looking restore, I like the unusual shape of the handle, never seen one like that before. Congrats and good luck with the next handles. Be sure to post the pics when you are done.

Thank you!

I haven't run across another DE shaver yet. The background on my computer at work changes every couple days to the last neat picture I took of my shaving gear.

Someone yesterday asked me "What the hell were you doing there?" when I had this on my background:

proxy.php

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Top Bottom