What's new

Work shoes?

I walk a lot at work. It's a casual office enviroment. I generally wear nice jeans, a button up shirt, or polo.

My feet sweat inordinately. And I like a lot of shock absorption, so I generally wear running shoes. I like the breathable mesh a lot of running shoes are made with these days. Not too keen on the outlandish color schemes though.

I've been wearing nike vomero3's, and they have been really nice. Incredible shock absorption. Super breathable; you can feel the wind blowing right through the mesh. Long lasting shoe as well. I can't see how the cushioning could possibly be better on this shoe.

I also have some asics gt 2130's. They've been nice too.

So these are the kind of shoes I know are good for me. Not really the best looking, but they work really well.

What I'm looking for is something similar to the vomero's or asics, but maybe a better value. AND/OR not quite so loud.

I'm sure I can find a running shoe on my own, but could someone offer some advice on a leather casual shoe that would look great with jeans at the office, yet perform like the running shoe?

I'd really like to find some brown colored (leather or not) casual or walking shoes that could take a few miles of walking on concrete each day. Something that would look quite a bit classier than the running shoes.
Some Clarks, maybe? Like this, http://www.zappos.com/clarks-portland-brown-leather ?

It's seldom I have to worry about cold temps here. My main concern is #1 sufficient shock control/comfort, and # 2 breathability, with better looks a close third.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I wore Clarks for many years when they were made here in the UK. These days they are made in China and a lot of them don't seem to fit my wide foot any more so I can't really say how they are now!

They used to be really comfortable out of the box and long lasting so if they fit you they may well be a good buy.

Ecco is another make worth a look for comfort and quality. Can't advise on any American makes as we don't see them, apart from all the trainers such as Nike.

Gareth

You could take a look at Mephisto shoes. They are very comfortable. However, they are quite expensive and some of the more comfortable models aren't very good looking.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look at them all.

Another question: What kind of cedar shoe trees? Full or combination? Afraid I don't really see the difference.

Whatever you end up buying, buy more than one pair and alternate the days you wear them. This allows the shoe to dry properly and you will end up getting a lot more use out of your shoes.
+1 on the Rockports.

I walk laps on concrete and hard tile floors for 12-17 hour days typically 2-4 times a week in my job. I'm hard on shoes, and I have high expectations of them!

Ecco, as previously mentioned, is a good shoe that can be had with a classic casual look. Good shoes if you can handle the up-front investment.

I'm currently wearing a pair of Clarks as I type, but they've worn strangely on the heel, and I feel stiff in the knees more frequently when I wear them.

The Born Blast and Davis were both comfortable shoes I've owned in the past, but the super comfy foot bed that originally sold me on them compressed rather quickly and the toe box began to get that "clown shoe" sag/flattened out look quicker than I would have liked for them to for the cost.

Rockport Agawam look a lot like a great pair of Rocksports I had years ago, they breathed well and were light weight. Haven't tried them, but they'll look great with mid-dark denim, 1 1/2-2" brown leather belt and a buttondown.

Keen has also begun making some decent casual leather shoes these days. I've got a pair somewhere, bought them just to try them out, since I know people who live in their sandals by the same brand. Mid-level price, decent performance, soft heel and a roomy toe box.

As individual as feet are, it's hard to recommend one as the "here's what will work" favorite. I'd say find a DSW or a Marshall's store nearby and spend an hour or two trying stuff on one day. Create a small stable of shoes that you can afford, keep tabs on fatigue, back pain, knee pain, etc. and stick with what works for you.

birkenstock clogs

leather
nubuck

they even have a professional line - anti-static, anti-skid & water/liquid-proof (but they're clogs)

I agree with you guys, the Born's, Rockports, Clarks, Mephisto's, Brooks, Merrils' are all obviously great choices.
I'm sure I can't go wrong following your advice.
I'll have to narrow things down some.

Thanks!!

When working at Macys years ago I came to notice the 2 most comfortable dress shoe brands, Rockport and Ecco.
I have been a Rockport fan ever since and you really cant go wrong with either brand...

This might be a contrarian opinion, but I've always worn hard-soled leather shoes when I've had to be on my feet a lot.

I got this tip from my father, who spent close to 40 years as a pharmacist with little opportunity to sit down. I haven't been on my feet that long, but I spent a few years on my feet as a bank teller and a cashier at a movie theater during undergrad.

My go-to shoes were Florsheim wingtips, though they aren't what they used to be. The line changed hands and was cheapened some years back. But the vintage ones are still some of the best shoes ever made. Today, I've picked up some from Brooks Bros., Loake, Cheaney, Barker, a few other English brands, and Alden.

I've always felt that I got superior support from hard-soled shoes and my feet felt better after a long day. For best results, I wore calf-high dress socks with them.

Sweat is an issue, but I found that if I used cedar shoe trees and wore the shoes once every three days or so, they held up fine.

Hard-soled shoes might seem a little out of place with jeans, but I'd go for a nice brown Oxford, because those go with anything.

If you don't want to drop a lot of cash on a pair, go on eBay and see if you can find a used pair at a fair price. The best thing about shoes like this is that you can almost always have them resoled and refurbished for $50-$60. I've had one pair of black wingtips for nearly 20 years now. They've been worn and worn and worn, probably resoled two or three times now. But when they're cleaned up, they look just as good as they did when I bought them.

I've been wearing combat boots for the last 14 years, just picked up my 3rd pair in April.

Toss in a pair of gel insoles and wear wool socks to wick sweat as well as add some cushioning. I have no issues spending 16-18hrs with them on my feet, walking all over the place at work and then after work.
As far as wanting your shoes to dry and air out, thats the beauty of wearing both wool and cotton socks. Wear fresh dry socks every day and the boots barely even smell at the end of the day.

I've been wearing combat boots for the last 14 years, just picked up my 3rd pair in April.

Toss in a pair of gel insoles and wear wool socks to wick sweat as well as add some cushioning. I have no issues spending 16-18hrs with them on my feet, walking all over the place at work and then after work.
As far as wanting your shoes to dry and air out, thats the beauty of wearing both wool and cotton socks. Wear fresh dry socks every day and the boots barely even smell at the end of the day.

This^^^^

I wear Magnums. They are a bit pricey, but they last, and offer full ankle support (I have ankle issues). I don't even insert the extra gel insoles or wear the thick socks. I wear cotton socks and can walk in these all day long. I am looking at mine right now and they could really use a new pair of laces. That's all they need and I wear these everyday except for the weekends.

Top Bottom