What's new

Should I bid on the "Rare Gillette Fatboy" with date code T1?

I especially liked this line, "This razor has been in my personal collection for 15 years and always well maintained."

I'd hate to find out what he considers poorly maintained.

It took me a minute to figure out what it was, it was in such bad shape.

I'm not even sure it'd be useful as a reclamation project.

I'm tempted to go buy a Schick Hydro and try to pass it off as a "Fatboy" on the Bay.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Was that directed at me? I had no intention of bidding, but wanted to see the beat up "fatboy"......

Nope, wasn't "directed" at anyone in particular.
Just a general reminder to everyone that discussions about ongoing auctions is frowned upon here.

Sure, the "rules" say you can't post a link to a live auction, but really - what's the diff if enough words or description from the auction are included so as to make its ability to be searched out and identified on e-bay a foregone conclusion?

No intent to flag or harass anyone.

I'm just sayin' that when the intent of a rule isn't followed, don't be surprised when the wrist slapping happens.

I got into it with an eBay seller recently who swore they had a 'rare wartime vintage razor" that was date coded some time in the 60's and was obviously a Slim. She refused to believe that her razor wasn't WWII vintage.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I got into it with an eBay seller recently who swore they had a 'rare wartime vintage razor" that was date coded some time in the 60's and was obviously a Slim. She refused to believe that her razor wasn't WWII vintage.

I saw that one, amazing, eh? The most rudimentary of research should have shown her she was wrong.
There's so many of these that you could make an entire forum out of the topic "Mis-labeled razors on E-bay".

Now that the auctions are over, I can comment that the same seller had a "Q1 Fatboy" for sale. Same kind of razor as the T1, but introduced yet another mis-labeling as there was no Q date code at all (probably an O), let alone none for the Fatboy.

I've stopped writing to these sellers to try to correct them. They don't all take it amiss, but there are just too many. Anyway, my own "expertise" is pretty shallow, and of recent vintage.

Last edited:
Isn't the intent of the rule to prevent ebay sellers from abusing the forum?

A definite maybe, but if you read that thread the luvmysuper quoted, you'll see it's more involved then that. You'll probably get the gist of it after a few of the posts, the thread itself seems to loop every once in a while.

-jim

S

siouxsie

I emailed with the same seller...I think she was Eastern European? Can't remember if it was a Slim...

i recently won an FB on fleabay. Seller also had a slim for sale, which she sent me instead. Returned it, did get a refund, no FB though. She INSISTED I got what I paid for, even when I explained the difference!

Top Bottom