What's new

What to buy in Italy?

Hey everybody,

My Dad is leaving for Italy this weekend. I would like some suggestions on what rare shaving items I should have him look for.

I don't want him to bring me back anything I can order online (cella, proraso, etc). Rather, I would like to get my hands on some rare goods.

Any suggestions?

I got a bunch of Floid (orange only, available in supermarkets like Coin or Coop), Proraso stuff, and drooled at the Santa Maria Novella pharmacy products which are amazing, but mega expensive!

You should 100% get a big bottle of Blue Floid. I wish I would have gotten two. I got one when I was in Italy last September and I'm 1/4 through it.

Hey everybody,

My Dad is leaving for Italy this weekend. I would like some suggestions on what rare shaving items I should have him look for.

I don't want him to bring me back anything I can order online (cella, proraso, etc). Rather, I would like to get my hands on some rare goods.

Any suggestions?

I would reconsider the "nothing I can buy online",,,you can get beautiful omega brushes for close to half of what you would pay online from the u.s....you will see many shave creams from all over europe,and aftershaves and blades...don't limit yourself to pharmacy type shops,ask around for a men's shaving supplies shop..ask anyone "marketa per pennelli da barba" and they will tell you where to buy

Tell your Dad to step into a Pharmacy, can't miss them, big green crosses overhanging the sidewalks. Then ask the proprietor or assistant , "Sto cercando prodotti da barba per uomini. Preferisco prodotti tradizionali tipo sapone da barba." ( I am looking for male shaving products. I prefer traditional products such as shaving soap.)

Pharmacies generally carry shaving products and after shave elixirs. Though most pharmacies carry standard brands, some carry specialty house products, look for those,especially the tube creams and AS lotions. My ex-wife worked for 30 years in a pharmacy in Torino, they take their products and advice given very seriously...it ain't Wallgreens!

After that hit the popular markets stores line Standa or Upim and see what they have on the shelves.

Proraso and other common Italian products you buy here on line may not be the same as they are in the old country, remember that. That rings true for many Italian imports, I have found.

If Florence is on your father's itinerary, have him stop in at the Santa Maria Novella Apothecary. Not only is it pretty amazing in its own right, it's also the original vendor of the celebrated SMN shave cream (which apparently puts Proraso to shame, if you can imagine that). The apothecary's been around for centuries... there's a gift for someone in every room.

Hey guys, just to let ye know, i've bought some original floid online, you can get blue floid on the site too, It's an Irish site but as far as i know they will ship to the US. www.shaving.ie

Top Bottom