What's new

Italian shaving creams

Hello,
I posted this in the soap section as well. My wife is in Italy, and I was wondering what are some recommended creams that are found in Italy?

Is Valobra Italian? Maybe a block or stick of that, since it's not as widely available in the US as say, Proraso.

Yes, it's Italian (made in Genoa, I think). The shave stick is fully of tallowy goodness and makes great lather. The soap/hard cream/soft soap is good too, but the stick is better.

yes...anthony is correct...do not fail to buy some omega shave brushes !! they are cheap there,and you can trade us brushes for things we have....honestly,if I were in italy I would bring home a dozen brushes....noxema italiana shave cream is great stuff,stock up on italian toothpaste ,talc,and enjoy the cannoli and gelati !! go to a real shave shop...ask men for "mercato per pennelli da barba",they will be happy to point you in the right direction,,,enjoy !

I really like Acqua di Parma, pricey and whether it is really worth the money is a moot point, however it is a lovely cream and produces amazing lather.

Acca Kappa Almond is a very good cream, especially if you are looking for something that has practically no scent. Also, Proraso's pre-shave cream is an interesting product, though not everyone's cup of tea. I find that it works great.

Another great Italian cream is gelato fiordilatte from the Campo San Barnaba in Venice, but it does not travel well...

Last edited:
Out of interest, how much?

Which models are available in shops? The 31064, for example? Or perhaps more Professional models?

that is up to you ! best badger or silvertip? boar or horsehair (horehair will be from spain,but italian shave shops sell them ...ask to look,don't be shy...gently press the tips of the brush to your forearm (do not put it on your face,this is impolite) to test the firmness ...some pharmacies will have a decent selection,but a true shave shop is your best bet...remember,you will buy at prices we would salivate for over here...you may see brushes from other european countries,don't pass those up either....a good choice would be a couple of best or grey badgers,a nice silvertip and one horsehair..this will really set you up for years...anything you end up not satisfied with can be sold or traded on shave forums ....you can't go wrong with bringing home a dozen brushes and a dozen soaps and creams...if you are going to bring back aftershave,make sure and bring some thin bubble wrap and tape to stick them in your luggage...

yes...anthony is correct...do not fail to buy some omega shave brushes !! they are cheap there,and you can trade us brushes for things we have....honestly,if I were in italy I would bring home a dozen brushes....noxema italiana shave cream is great stuff,stock up on italian toothpaste ,talc,and enjoy the cannoli and gelati !! go to a real shave shop...ask men for "mercato per pennelli da barba",they will be happy to point you in the right direction,,,enjoy !

And make sure to get cornetti and a doppio for breakfast! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom