What's new

Shaving creams for sensitive skin.

Any recommendations for shaving creams for sensitive skin? So far I have had good experiences with Geo F Trumper's Violet cream and soap, TOBS Lavender, Truefitt and Hill's Lavender s/c and Castle Forbes lavender. I was told anything with lavender is good.
I bough a tub of TOBS sensitive skin shaving cream and it actually burned my skin on the second pass. The same thing happened with a tube of Crabtree and Evelyn Nomad calming shave cream.

I picked up some by "The Real Shaving Co." at my local Shopper's Drug Mart for a ridiculously low price (around 4$ if I recall correctly). I wasn't expecting much but it is quickly becoming my go-to cream, and strangely enough, it's the only one that doesn't burn a little bit during my third pass (most others burn a little at least).

The AOS Unscented is listed as "hypoallergenic". It's also an excellent shaving cream. I also like the matching aftershave balm as well.

------T_M

I wouldnt focus on the cream, try kiss my face lavender and shea. but your focus needs to be on your prep, the quality of lather your making, the correct shaving angle,speed,and pressure. But also the brush, you could be allergic to your brush if its made of animal hair.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Here is a list of excellent quality shaving creams for sensitive skins:

Castle Forbes: Lavender;

T&H: Ultimate Comfort, 1805, Rose;

Trumpers: Coconut Oil, Rose, Violet;

Taylors: Avocado, Rose, Lavender.

I believe I read T&H forums that the Grafton line is recommended for sensitive skin users. Otherwise I would check your hardware combinations(blade and razor combo), preshave prep, and technique. I have found when I started shaving the proper way, I didn't have sensitive skin.

Any recommendations for shaving creams for sensitive skin? So far I have had good experiences with Geo F Trumper's Violet cream and soap, TOBS Lavender, Truefitt and Hill's Lavender s/c and Castle Forbes lavender. I was told anything with lavender is good.
I bough a tub of TOBS sensitive skin shaving cream and it actually burned my skin on the second pass. The same thing happened with a tube of Crabtree and Evelyn Nomad calming shave cream.

You may want to expand your search to soaps. One of the reasons why people eventually gravitate towards soaps instead of creams is reduced irritation and sensitivity. Soaps in general contain less preservatives (which often are the agents which can cause sensitivity) than creams do. Some soaps, such as cella, contain no preservatives.

Last edited:
You may want to expand your search to soaps. One of the reasons why people eventually gravitate towards soaps instead of creams is reduced irritation and sensitivity. Soaps in general contain less preservatives (which often are the agents which can cause sensitivity) than creams do. Some soaps, such as cella, contain no preservatives.

I'd agree with that. I have sensitive skin and I generally get much better results from soaps. I'm particularly fond of AOS unscented soap. (Their lavender is also marketed for sensitve skin, but I haven't tried it yet.)

You know, Arko Sensitive shave cream is a pretty decent product, mild and agreeable, gives a good shave, easy to use, and cheap.

I'd say it's certainly worth a shot.

-- John Gehman

Kiss My Face cream would be very good on sensitive skin.

+1 for the lavender and shea or unscented. If you still get irritation from, it then you might want to look at something other then your lather media, like blade angle and pressure, and also the brush.

You can try creams without scent, colors or parabens. Gentlemens' Refinery, AOS, and I believe Eshave have unscented products.

Other ones that are unscented but have parabens are: Clinique, Kiehls,

I liked Edwin Jagger's as they are paraben free and I didnt find it overwhelming in scent. I don't think the Seabuckthorn is a scent as much as a nourishing oil. I only tested the sample and really liked EJ stuff.

If worse comes to worse then maybe use just plain oil. I cant recommend a specific oil as you might also have nut allergies so you need to experiment with one that works.

Also tallow soaps tend to have preservatives as they go rancid. I found eliminating preservatives in everything helped alot with my sensitive skin.

These oils are potential skin irritants and they are in many shave products.
http://www.cosmeticscop.com/BULLETI...q_e=el&hq_m=592748&hq_l=9&hq_v=f1baf1a568#one

Yes the EJ/Muhle creams are great for sensitive skin. The Sea Buckthorn is very gentle.

+1. The Muhle Sea Buckthorn soap is one of my favorites.

I like the T&H Ultimate Comfort cream + ASB as well.

And honestly, I get great shaves from the VDH deluxe soap you can find in most grocery stores.

Top Bottom