What's new

My lazy door Rocket ain't a Rocket

Sometimes I just don't pay enough attention. So I bought this Rocket - it came in a clear/red case "Made in Canada". I really wanted that case. I think these are the most awesome cases in the world:

View attachment 103823

And here it is (L) next to my HD Rocket (R):

View attachment 103824

Gee, if only I had the right case for this guy. It's a little loose in the red/clear case which was made for a HD Rocket. Except for the lazy door, it's in fine/excellent condition. They are wonderful shavers ...

http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece%20solid%20guard%20bar/1950s%20Aristocrat%20Jr.Rocket%20style.jpg

-jim

I believe your razor is a Rocket - but not an HD. Rockets like yours were sold in the Canadian-made cases, as were Aristocrat Jrs. (flat blade bed) - the Mr-Razor pic you show is of a "Razor-style" Aristo Jr, as opposed to the flat blade bed Aristo.

See MT Graylings thread on TSD: Rockets: the refined DE

While MT does not fully accept flat-bed Jrs showing up in Canadian Rocket boxes, I've seen four that do (including my mint one).

Mr-Razor's pic would indicate that "regular" Rockets also showed up in Aristo Jr. boxes; just another indication that Gillette was happy to match up leftovers, I suppose.

enjoy your razor!

I believe your razor is a Rocket - but not an HD. Rockets like yours were sold in the Canadian-made cases, as were Aristocrat Jrs. (flat blade bed) - the Mr-Razor pic you show is of a "Razor-style" Aristo Jr, as opposed to the flat blade bed Aristo.

See MT Graylings thread on TSD: Rockets: the refined DE

While MT does not fully accept flat-bed Jrs showing up in Canadian Rocket boxes, I've seen four that do (including my mint one).

Mr-Razor's pic would indicate that "regular" Rockets also showed up in Aristo Jr. boxes; just another indication that Gillette was happy to match up leftovers, I suppose.

enjoy your razor!

Missed that, I've looked at that tutorial before and you are right, it can be a 40s style Rocket (razor #1 for instance). So an Aristocrat Jr. with a diamond plate head is really just a 40s Rocket in a Aristocrat Jr. case?

And you know what, I put my flat-bed Jr in this case and it fits perfectly. It found a new home.

-jim

Last edited:
I'm not getting your thread title. Ar you saying that you don't think you have a Rocket?

That is a Rocket.

You are right.

I have the exact same razor in an Aristocrat Jr case, just like the link I added to Achim's site, therefore I thought I had another "Rocket style Aristocrat Jr.".

So is the razor in the Aristocrat Jr box a 40s Rocket?

I may be highly confused.

-jim

From my own experience w/ Rockets, Aristo Jrs. (and Canadian Rockets), from MT Grayling's info, and from pics on Achim's site, it looks to me that '40s-style Rockets could turn up in Aristo Jr boxes, English Rocket boxes, or Canadian Rocket boxes.

Flat blade bed Aristocrat Jrs. might turn up in Aristo Jr. boxes or Canadian Rocket boxes.

Make sense?

Last edited:
From my own experience w/ Rockets, Aristo Jrs. (and Canadian Rockets), from MT Grayling's info, and from pics on Achim's site, it looks to me that '40s-style Rockets could turn up in Aristo Jr boxes, English Rocket boxes, and Canadian Rocket boxes.

Flat blade bed Aristocrat Jrs. might turn up in Aristo Jr. boxes or Canadian Rocket boxes.

Make sense?

It does. Sort like NEWs or NEW Deluxes, it's the case that makes the name. I don't know why I had this brain block in thinking that all the Brit models would be distinct in their special case. But Gillette seems to have always done this. We got these and we got those, let's put 'em together and sell them.

thanks for the excellent lesson!

:thumbup1:

-jim

Top Bottom