What's new

Soap Powder

When I was a kid my grandfather would sprinkle some mysterious powder or soap flakes into a mug, add hot water, and work it for a minute. I was always amazed as to the amount of lather that would result from so little soap. He had the thickest beard I have ever seen and used to shave twice a day. :001_unsur

Anyone have any idea as to what this substance was.

Could be something like this. I'm sure other companies have done this, but this is the only one that comes to mind at the moment.

There is a indian online seller in the uk who sells shaving powder and i have always wondered what this was.

There is a indian online seller in the uk who sells shaving powder and i have always wondered what this was.

Might want to be careful with that one. Most products listed as "shaving powder" are chemical depilatories that "melt" the hair, then the "shaving" is done by scraping the hair off with a plastic spatula type of thing.

The soap powder I remember had a nice, sweet "ivory-like" smell to it. My grandfather seemed to have an endless supply of the flakes most likely from a barber shop.

The soap powder I remember had a nice, sweet "ivory-like" smell to it. My grandfather seemed to have an endless supply of the flakes most likely from a barber shop.

You could probably recreate the experience by grating your favorite soap on the finest side of a box grater. Store the resulting flakes sealed and dry and they should work the same as you remember your grandfather's working.

I like the idea behind shaving powder. I'd imagine it makes a thick lather quickly, just due to the increased surface area.

Might want to be careful with that one. Most products listed as "shaving powder" are chemical depilatories that "melt" the hair, then the "shaving" is done by scraping the hair off with a plastic spatula type of thing.

Thanks for the warning:scared:

Ivory had a product called Ivory Flakes. Maybe that is what it was. They may still make it.

Williams produced a shave powder (soap), too. I've seen a lot of adverts for it, pre-1930. Sprinkle it on a wet brush, then face lather.

-- John Gehman

Top Bottom