What's new

The Simpson Path Less-Traveled

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
We all know about these legendary lines of Simpson brushes like the Chubby, the Tulip, the Polo, the Duke and the Persian Jar.

Which one of the lesser known Simpson brushes do you have and what are your thoughts about it?

Which one piques your interest and why?

There are a couple of the lesser known Simpsons that I have had my eye on for quite awhile.

As many of you know, the Eagle has been one of them. I always liked its utilitarian handle. No fancy turning here. Just a journeyman-type brush for the regular guy. Now coming customized with Simpson Best-grade makes this acquisition very exciting.

But there are a couple of others that I have always felt the need to try and eventually will.

One is the Classic and the other is one of the Simpson Fifty Series. These are certainly some of the lesser-known series of Simpson brushes that I think I have to try out.

How about you? Pics, if you have them, are always appreciated. :thumbup1:

Here is the Classic (models #1 and #2. I think I would prefer the #2) and the "56" from the Fifty Series.

Last edited:
Well, I just put in an order for an Eagle yesterday - with the group buy! :smile: Anyone reading this thread ought to check out the group buy - it will be open for another week or so. A great deal on what looks like a great brush!

I've also taken a hard look at the lesser-known Simpsons over at Shoebox Shaving. The 507 has my attention but they're out of stock. Though the 508 looks very tempting, as well.

My next brush is going to be a Case. A small quality brush with a slick matching travel tube.

I briefly considered the Major, or another brand of that style, but it's more than twice the price for a bulkier (though admittedly clever) travel tube and the same sized brush.

Unfortunately, few sites carry the Case, so I probably won't be able to bundle it into the giant purchases I like to make (just to save on shipping!).

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I have a PL10 on order, after that..im going to start on the 50's series. The case looks to much like a Chubby/Duke for my tatste.

I also would love to get me a milk churn and some keyholes, but that 50's series will be next.

If you are soap centric, the 50 series is for you. The knot is smaller, but it has great density. The soaps run and hide when it emerges from its soak.

It will. Take my word for it. After getting the 57, I quickly picked up 3 more, including the Eagle. I like them better than the Rooneys I have/had.

Oh great :scared: I only have 7 brushes :001_tongu....God do I hate this place... At least my Fountain Pen AD has subsided..thought my watch AD was also gone until the B&B watch....... I've got to find that 12 step program or start shaving 2 to 3 times per day

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Ok Bob,

Just great....I have a 56 coming to me now. I should see a PL10 and 56 within a month or so.

Ok Bob,

Just great....I have a 56 coming to me now. I should see a PL10 and 56 within a month or so.

I think you will be very happy with it. If you face lather, there is a bit of a break in period. It also is not a lather hog.

I love the look of the Tulips, PJ's and all of the other popular Simpsons, but I have deliberately followed this less travelled road. With a 57, Keyhole 2, Milk Churn and now an Eagle on the way, I feel very comfortable saying that you will do yourself a favor trying these less common brushes.

When I visited Cambridge Chemists a month ago, I had three brushes on my list: a Berkeley, a Harvard and a Milk Churn. Well, Scott had the Milk Churn, so there you go. I'm not at a computer right now, so I can't post pics. I love the shorter handle of the Berkeley with its double ring. Not as compact as the Duke or Chubby, but it looks made to fit my hand. The Harvard is as aesthetically pleasing to look at as the PJ and Tulip, but the knots trend smaller. Cambridge had a size 6 Harvard and it was just too big to be believed. Both of these brushes can be had in Best.

The last one on my list presents a real conundrum for me. The Beaufort. To me it has the nicest looking handle of the Simpsons, looking like an edgy variation on the Keyhole. Problem is, it's only available in Pure, and I'm not sure a scratchy brush is for me (great candidate for another custom group buy :w00t:). That said, the price is very affordable. I guess the only downside to taking this road is that these brushes are not offered in Super. The Best grade hair is excellent, but sometimes I wonder......

Not their most obscure brush but definitely more uncommon than a Chubby or a Polo is the Major. I love the look and performance of the Major, at one point I had 2 of them but I cut myself back to just one.

We all know about these legendary lines of Simpson brushes like the Chubby, the Tulip, the Polo, the Duke and the Persian Jar.

Which one of the lesser known Simpson brushes do you have and what are your thoughts about it?

Which one piques your interest and why?

There are a couple of the lesser known Simpsons that I have had my eye on for quite awhile.

As many of you know, the Eagle has been one of them. I always liked its utilitarian handle. No fancy turning here. Just a journeyman-type brush for the regular guy. Now coming customized with Simpson Best-grade makes this acquisition very exciting.

But there are a couple of others that I have always felt the need to try and eventually will.

One is the Classic and the other is one of the Simpson Fifty Series. These are certainly some of the lesser-known series of Simpson brushes that I think I have to try out.

How about you? Pics, if you have them, are always appreciated. :thumbup1:

Here is the Classic (models #1 and #2. I think I would prefer the #2) and the "56" from the Fifty Series.

The "B+B Eagle" will be my first Simpson's brush (unless I weaken and grab a Wee Scot before that one arrives) and I am sure that there will be more to follow. That Classic 2 looks a lot like a Chubby to my untrained eyes and I have seriously been considering a Chubby 2 to share service with my Rooney 1/2 for Sunday mornings when I have plenty of time to enjoy a bowlful of lather.

The B&B Eagle will be my fourth Simpson brush. I first got the Wee Scot for a travel brush, then went a little bigger with the Case and just received my Chubby 2.

I like the Wee and Case because they have a great soft scrubbing feel when I lather. Since I have only one shave with the Chubby I can’t really compare these to the Chubby… yet. I am hoping the Eagle lands into the just right spot between the Chubby and the Case

I have been eying the Major for some time now; I like its turn back style for travel, but my Wee and Case tide me over for now.

The Colonel X2L - in Best. Just a wonderful, wonderful brush. I lucked out with a very soft tipped dense one. It could easily be the only brush I ever use.

Attachments

• $L1000520.jpg
    $L1000520.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 894
Top Bottom