What's new

Badger, Boar, Bristle and Barbicide

So, I am planning to start shaving people in my shop in the near future.

I have a few nice brushes. A couple of Badger and a couple of Boar. In the UK we are allowed to use brushes on our clients. I would, however, have to sterilise them between clients. Does anyone know if a good dunking in barbicide will have any negative effect on the bristles? Obviously I don't want to kill off my best brushes. The brushes will be stored in a dry steriliser (UV) when not used.

TIA

Mat

I think that the UV and possibly the ozone that some germicide UV lamp build up can be more bad for the brush hair and handles than the barbicide itself. Probably better stick to boar bristle brushes,they probably won't live longer but they are much cheaper. Here in Italy Omega boar brush were the "standard" barber shop brushes , now with new regulations it seems that the art of barber shave is dying :frown:

Sterilizing a brush is tough. Anything tough enough to do the job would harm the brush and I don't see how the UV could penetrate that far into the brush.

You would need heat and lots of it. I don't think I would want to be shaved with a brush that had been used on someone else. You could never do this in the U.S as a matter of fact barbers here used a lather machine and applied lather by hand probably since the 1960s or even 50s. In many shops people brought in their own mugs and brushes and they were left there.

You might get away with a nylon brush and steam.

A quick internet search turned up some barbershop regulations showing that a soak in 60% alcohol is required for sterilization of all instruments of any kind here in the US. That doesn't sound too tough to comply with but may shorten the life of a brush. Other than that, a dunking in cheap liquid Lysol is extremely effective as a germ and parasite killer. It is what the CDC uses on their "space suits", it's used in institutions for all sorts of germ killing purposes on surfaces, skin, hair, etc. Lysol is pretty gentle but I'm just not sure how repeated treatments day in and day out would effect the lifespan of the brush. If you were to use mostly low end brushes it probably wouldn't matter much as they inexpensive an easy to replace. There are lots relatively cheap lab and hospital-grade germicidal liquids like Barbicide to choose from as well. Ultraviolet light is an options used on other types of brushes. You would have to check that Lysol or germicidals would be within guidelines as well. There may be a difference between what they consider sterilization and disinfection or sanitization or something like that.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Good luck with this endeavour! With all the health regulations and expectations, you'll need it! I fear that soon enough the barbershop will be basically shave-free for 'health' reasons.

Read the 'dirty babershop' thread in 'General' for an idea of some of the problems ahead ... health-wise, we're in a totally different world than we were even a few decades ago.

I appreciate your responses guys.

I think I'm going to have to mix lather in a bowl with a brush and apply it by hand. It's not going to be as effective at lifting the hairs but I do need to be as sanitary as possible. I will be using a combination of top quality soaps and creams.

Does anyone see any issues with mixing the lather with a brush and applying it by hand. This would follow the preshave treatment and hot towels.

Cheers again

Mat:001_cool:

I am not completely convinced the Barbicide would do harm and if you could do it I would think it would improve the customer experience. Try it with a brush look at it as in investment in the business. Soaking time is 10 minutes. Also shoot them an email I am not a professional and sent them and email on how long I can hold small batches for my razors. They responded within a day and sent me some free test strips in the mail.

I just found a company that will wholesale disposable boar brushes for $1 each. All I have to do now is convince them to ship to the UK and I'm sorted.

I don't really like the environmental issues with chucking stuff out after 1 hit but I have to think of my clients safety.

Looks like it's disposable paper bowls, disposable brushes and disposable blades.

I hate this disposable world dammit :cursing:

GRRRRR

Mat

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Disposable this, disposable that, ugh. But at lest it still can be done! Good luck with your endeavour!

huh, imagine that disposable brushes. It would be nice if you could just sanitize a nicer brush in Barbicide plus. Wholeheartedly agree on the disposable economy bit. At least the wooden handles are biodegradable. You could always send them home with it and offer a $1 discount if they chose to use it for future shaves.

link to that brush
http://www.qosmedix.com/catalog/part.asp?partno=511403

I think that the $1 brush is a great idea, and encouraging the clients to reuse them by discounting a dollar will make you appear very environmentally conscious and generous to your clients.

Another option is a synthetic brush. One reasonable source is here. The Men-U synthetic shave brush seems nice too http://www.men-uusa.com/.

A less expensive option is here at Cotton Blossom Crafts. http://www.cottonblossomcrafts.com/economy_shaving_brushes.htm

They are just $1 a piece, and have plastic handles.

Good luck

I just found a company that will wholesale disposable boar brushes for $1 each. All I have to do now is convince them to ship to the UK and I'm sorted.

I don't really like the environmental issues with chucking stuff out after 1 hit but I have to think of my clients safety.

Looks like it's disposable paper bowls, disposable brushes and disposable blades.

I hate this disposable world dammit :cursing:

GRRRRR

Mat

Whereas some coffee shops store their regular clients coffee mugs, you could possibly build a regular clientèle by storing their personal mugs, and or brushes. While you are at it, how about punch cards giving every 10th shave free?
Keep the regulars coming back.
Ken.

Does anyone see any issues with mixing the lather with a brush and applying it by hand.
Mat:001_cool:
The only issue I see here is back-contamination. You would have to make lather in the bowl, squeeze all the lather out of the brush into the bowl, rinse the brush and put it away, and only then use your hand to apply to the customer's face. If you have previously touched the customer's face, you would have to wash your hands before handling the brush and the bowl. And of course, the bowl and your hands have to be washed before you start the next customer.

But the health inspector can usually tell you to quit something "just because", logical or not.

Top Bottom