What's new

So what is your theory?

I have been DE shaving for about 6 month. At first I ask questions on everything I encounter, then I realize how moot that was, because there are so many variables between each individual shavers.

After almost 2 months of hiatus from posting, I come back asking yet another stupid question:

I keep everything the same: soap, brush, shaver, blade, prep.. but still getting good, great, and crappy shaves.

I am not looking for people to tell ME what to do, but have YOU solve your DE protocols and are YOU getting consistent shaves??

S

stubble trouble

been at it about six weeks. It's kind of like golf, IMHO. I measure my golf game by what my bad shots look like. Same with my shaves, my bad shaves now are more sightly and less traumatic than they were initially. I also mentally shave to help go to sleep at night (kind of like I do with hitting golf balls).:thumbup1:

I am getting consistent shaves after about three months.
I think the breakthrough for me came just recently and amounts to nothing more than to stop trying and just enjoy myself. I no longer really worry about how close the shave is but just do what feels right. Sometimes that means one WTG and out the door. Other times it means proraso and three passes plus touchup after a shower. Maybe it's a N/S and a S/N because I don't feel like taking on the sideways growing beard on my neck that day.
I guess that's not a real answer to your question since I didn't really do anything to guarantee a consistent "whisker state" at the end of the shave. I just changed my definition of what a "good shave" is.

Since I started shaving with a straight I have set the goalposts a little closer. Now I am content to get a reasonable shave and not cut myself- I'm confident that my results will keep improving and I just need to stay careful.
My thoughts with the DE were similar- I always wanted to have less facial hair than when I started the shave and the same amount of skin when I finished.

... I always wanted to have less facial hair than when I started the shave and the same amount of skin when I finished.

:thumbup1::thumbup1:
What he said! Words to live by.
I started out (not DE but straight) trying for BBS... you can imagine the results.:thumbdown Didn't take long to change that tactic, and just try to get through each shave without blood. Strangley enough, it wasn't until I noticed that not only was I no longer bleeding, but my shaves were getting better.
Now it's a compromise: BBS on chin and upper lip, DFS on my neck and no (or at least very little) razor rash.

I am getting consistent shaves after about three months.
I think the breakthrough for me came just recently and amounts to nothing more than to stop trying and just enjoy myself. I no longer really worry about how close the shave is but just do what feels right.just changed my definition of what a "good shave" is.

(part edited out here to make my point)

I have been shaving for 60+ years using a Rolls razor most of the time. I also get a variety of results from time to time. . . . I generally put it down to either old age forgetfulness, or to just being a bit careless.

Remember, in the days of the sailing ships, it was almost always the old hands that fell from the high rigging, the newbies were to scared to let go with both hands at once! :bayrum2:

It was almost always the old hands that fell from the high rigging, the newbies were to scared to let go with both hands at once!

Cool fact, if true. My first crappy shaves came, coincidentally enough, when I had just enough confidence to pay less attention.

Some days you're just not on your game.

A lot of it depends on your technique. I had inconsistent shaves until I really made an effort to get the angles and directions shaved consistent and optimized. That really straightened out my shaves. Also, I started using better blades with more consistent quality. Now, I know what to expect each day.

Since I started shaving with a straight I have set the goalposts a little closer. Now I am content to get a reasonable shave and not cut myself- I'm confident that my results will keep improving and I just need to stay careful.
My thoughts with the DE were similar- I always wanted to have less facial hair than when I started the shave and the same amount of skin when I finished.

+2 Lower your expectations a bit and be happy with the shave you get. If you look back objectively, I bet you'll find that you're miles ahead of where you were a few months ago.

Cheers,
Ian

I have been DE shaving for almost 4 months now. Over all, I have focused on my technique and got the blade angle down pat. Most importantly, I believe is CONFIDENCE! With that said, some days are better shaving days than others. Some days I decide to do 3 passes with the last one being a ATG. Most days, I just do 2 passes - 1 WTG and 1 XTG. I shave every day. I have found if I do 3 passes, I generally do not have enough visible stubble come the next morning to warrant a shave. But I still shave anyways. Let's put shaving aside for a minute and talk about healthy skin. Never, in the last 24 years of shaving (between disposables, electrics and Mach 3 / Fusion varieties) have I ever experienced such healthy skin on my face. I was always prone to irritation and zits. I am happy to report in the last 4 months - NO ZITS! The brush and soap combination leaves my skin clean and healthy! I have to say it - I look in the mirror and I'm liking it!

As for my routine...I shower, soak brush, get the lather going, shave, use Alum block, Witch Hazel and finish with an after shave.

My newb advice. Slow down. Focus on basics. Go back and watch some of mantic's videos. Re-read the articles and be POSITIVE. Enjoy!

-James

I've been DE shaving for several years and find the best results come from consistency. Consistency of blade angle. Consistency of of lather / mix. Consistency of prep. Consistency of finish. Consistency of each step along the way. Even consistency of water quality can be a factor.

For me it starts with a shower followed by Hydrolast olive oil based soap, low velocity shaving paste followed by conditioner

http://www.hydrolast.com/

http://www.enchanteonline.com/pages/shaveculture/wetshaving.htm

My face looks healthier than ever and at my age, trust me, it's a good thing!

G

GLteam

I've read a thread somewhere (drats if I can't remember where), that talked about the 'speed' of the shave because of humidity in the air and such. This was a Method idea, as the more humid the air is, the 'faster' the shave is, and thus your Method Shaving technique needed to adapt with such.

For me, finding that consistancy of the perfect shave happened by combining a certain razor with a certain blade, etc... The one, absolute thing that has made EVERY shave comfortable for me, was the addition of plain ordinary Coconut Oil as my preshave oil. It is the only substance I apply to my face for the pre-shave prep, along with the hot towel. That alone has made a dramatic difference in the closeness and comforts of my shaves. It has made an incredible, soft and slick 'buffer' before I apply my shave soap.

Yes, I have come to the point of not chasing after BBS on every shave. I have learned to shave for necessity (to get out of the door in the work day) and shave for enjoyment (on weekends or night shave).

Top Bottom