What's new

Dovo straights

I got my Dovo back today from Steve from the Invisible Edge. He did a great job on it. It looks just a little bit smaller but i actually like that. Lathered up and took it to work and really enjoyed this mornings shave. I can't get a BBS yet but did manage a CCS. This is my gripe about my current straight shaving skills but i'm hoping as my abilities and confidence improves i'll get better at my straight shaving.

So about 3 weeks into straight razor shaving and last week was my epiphany moment where i could see myself getting the hang of the shaving with this 3" piece of sharp steel.

The last few shaves have been good, no nicks or cuts, I see now their has to be some flex in the way you hold the blade. I can get a secure BBS shave on my cheeks and upper lip, my throat and chin are not quite as smooth as i really only feel confident WTG technique on these parts of my face.

I now have two Dovo 'Best Quality' razors, one in blonde and a black one i acquired from one of my students for a swap for my Merkur 1904 DE. I've got a TI 'Le Dandy' which i acquired via the bay on route via Steve Dempster's The Invisible Edge for a major over haul.

I've even been able to do some light honing with my Chinese 12K.

Thus far its been fun, as long as i don't do anything stupid and treat the straights with care and respect they should last a long time.

Thus far its been fun, as long as i don't do anything stupid and treat the straights with care and respect they should last a long time.

Come on you're a man, we do something stupid all of the time. Besides you ca't call yourself a true straight shaver until you have a straight induced scar...:lol::lol::lol:

I have a scar induced from a Fromm Hair Shaper, but it was caused by me not having any idea what I was doing...:blush::blush:

A very sharp blade with two spike points is bad when you have ZERO straight shaving technique. :lol::lol:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Looks like a nice razor! I've not long started with a 4/8 straight...a bit smaller than most folk suggest for starters...and I'm finding it a nice size and weight :thumbup:

I kind of like a narrow blade for the upper lip area. A bigger blade doesn't "fit" in there as well as a 4/8, for me. Of course the wider blade has advantages, too. I like the weight of a bigger blade. Seems to make for smoother strokes somehow, and the bigger blade isn't as quick to "gotcha" me. Everything is a trade-off, I guess.

Come on you're a man, we do something stupid all of the time. Besides you ca't call yourself a true straight shaver until you have a straight induced scar...:lol::lol::lol:

I have a scar induced from a Fromm Hair Shaper, but it was caused by me not having any idea what I was doing...:blush::blush:

A very sharp blade with two spike points is bad when you have ZERO straight shaving technique. :lol::lol:

Dam, i eat my words... tried to have a quick shave with my Merkur aka 'blood sucking vampire' futur and broke the 3 cardinal rules of wet shaving, 2 very nasty cuts today. I think i'll take tomorrow off.

Bloody annoying though......shave all week with a cut throat, nada, zip, no cuts, nicks anything, safety razor (muhhhh) decides to give me a good kickin'........ dam you and your prophecticness Michigan :001_smile

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Dam, i eat my words... tried to have a quick shave with my Merkur aka 'blood sucking vampire' futur and broke the 3 cardinal rules of wet shaving, 2 very nasty cuts today. I think i'll take tomorrow off.

Bloody annoying though......shave all week with a cut throat, nada, zip, no cuts, nicks anything, safety razor (muhhhh) decides to give me a good kickin'........ dam you and your prophecticness Michigan :001_smile

I find the Futur works best for me at a "1" to "2" setting for most blades. It can be a bit aggressive. The heft is nice, though. I retired mine after fishing the top out of one sink trap too many. Now I use various straights from my collection, and occasionally one of my Rolls or my Gillete FatBoy adjustable.

Top Bottom