Thread: Giving the Chemex a shot

Images

Default Giving the Chemex a shot

Ordered one of these a few days ago, it should arrive pretty soon. I currently use a french press, but I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Anyone used a Chemex before? Any thoughts?

Hunter

Have had one for years and use it regularly. One of the best cups of coffee going, IMO. Two things - don't grind the coffee too fine (will clog the filter) and don't let the grounds run dry as you are brewing.

Images

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=109786
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=125039

Thoughts? Enjoy it!

You might have to play around with the grind size, depending on the amount of water and coffee you use, to get the right brewing time. You can also stir the grinds--the filter will stand up to a fair amount of abuse. Play around and experiment. And enjoy it.

Just be careful with it. I'm on my 5th.
    Steve,
    Read about the History of B&B.
    Learn about the Science of Shaving in the B&B ShaveWiki. Check out my Mad Scientist posts and microscope pictures of DE blades, hair, and lather.
    Intro to vaping electronic cigarettes.

Pottsylvania, near Whynchatakea Peak and Joisee
    Images

Used one for 30 years. Well not he same one..... Only coffee brewer I have had. As Si said watch your grind sizes and experiment... The Chemex non bleached filters are the best IMHO
    Brian
    Let's leave Politics at the door ... and out of B&B !!!!!!

Member of the B&B 2011 Rudy Vey LE Brush Buy (#3)
    Member of the B&B 2012 Rudy Vey LE Brush Buy (#3)
    Member of the B&B LE 2011 Edison Glenmont Pen Buy (#1)
    Member of the B&B LE 2012 Edison Herald Grande Pen Buy (#1)
    Member of the B&B ? buy

B&B Old Fogies Club.

I licked the tires.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SiBurning View Post
    Just be careful with it. I'm on my 5th.
    Uh, oh. Are they really fragile? I figured they'd be made of fairly thick Pyrex or something like that. I can be a klutz sometimes...
    Hunter

Images

Quote Originally Posted by huntmol View Post
    Uh, oh. Are they really fragile? I figured they'd be made of fairly thick Pyrex or something like that. I can be a klutz sometimes...
    I dropped a full 2.5 qt glass water kettle on it from a height of about 4" and nothing happened. I also dropped it once onto the linoleum floor and it survived. But once I tipped it over on the countertop and it smashed. Twice it got crushed in the dish drainer because a pot had settled and moved some other things onto it slightly. Near as I can figure, the top is susceptible to inward and upward pressure--say, towards the apex that a pointed lid would make--but the rest stands up well. So it cracked when a dish or pot pressed inwards at the top, and it shattered when it fell over sideways, yet it survived a drop of 3 feet when it landed on the bottom.

For what it's worth, people say the hand blown ones are thicker glass, so they might be sturdier, but I haven't tried one yet. If this one breaks, my next might be a hand blown version.
    Last edited by SiBurning; 05-15-2010 at 09:25 PM.
    Steve,
    Learn about the Science of Shaving in the B&B ShaveWiki. Check out my Mad Scientist posts and microscope pictures of DE blades, hair, and lather.

Images

Have had a chance to use it a few times - I'm seriously impressed with the results. Makes a really outstanding cup of coffee very consistently. I love the control over each specific variable in the brewing process. I think I'm hooked!
    Hunter

Images

BTW

Quote Originally Posted by renoles View Post
    Have had one for years and use it regularly. One of the best cups of coffee going, IMO. Two things - don't grind the coffee too fine (will clog the filter) and don't let the grounds run dry as you are brewing.
    +1... especially for not letting the grounds go dry or get even close. The water temperature drops mighty fast if the water isn't significantly above the grinds.
    Steve,