What's new

Are Feathers a lot sharper than Astra blades?

You can treat Feathers pretty much like any other blade if you use them in a Tech. I get fantastic close, smooth shaves with the Feather/Tech combo.
When I use them in my DE89 I have to be a little more careful, though strangely the shave is no better than with a Tech.

The Feather/Tech is an excellent introduction to the Feather blade, but alas it is too mild for me and so I require an entire extra pass.

I use the Feather in my Slim dialled up to nine for all three passes.

I don't think Feathers are a lot sharper. I find Astra SPs pretty sharp. Feathers are a little sharper though and to me maybe even a bit smoother at first but I think Astras maintain the smoothness they have a little longer. With Feathers my best shave is always the first. With Astras sometimes the second is better.

I have a feeling I'll be buying a 100 pack of Astras. I'm still managing to nick myself even with this morning's shave so I think it'll be at least 6 or more months before I can try the Feathers anyway.
Check amazon regularly for Astras, I got a 100 pack for like $13 when I first started. That being said they are my go to blade. Unless I haven't shaved for 4-5 days, then I'll reach for a feather. It will cut through about anything, but I will only use it two or three times before I toss it, where I'll use Astra's consistently for 5 shaves.

EDIT: And as I was browsing the deals forum... http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/375895-Some-great-deals-on-Amazon Astras for $11 and change.

Last edited:
Sharp isn't always better. As someone else said, I also find the Astras smoother.

I've only used a few Feathers in my shavette, and am yet to use one in my newly acquired 33C, but I found them to give me irritation on my chin and going down my neck, which for some reason is extra sensitive compared to the rest of my face.

I have a number of different sample packs, and so far I've had the best luck with the Astra Green blades.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I think Feathers are sharper than Astra SP but would recommend either blade; They both work very well for me.

I don't think Feathers are a lot sharper. I find Astra SPs pretty sharp. Feathers are a little sharper though and to me maybe even a bit smoother at first but I think Astras maintain the smoothness they have a little longer. With Feathers my best shave is always the first. With Astras sometimes the second is better.
+1

I heard all the horror stories about Feather blades and decided that it would be the blade I learned on. That has made all the difference in my opinion. Having learned with the sharpest and east forgiving blade my technique got really good, really fast, and now there is no other blade that is as familiar and comfortable as the Feather. I use other blades at times, but only because I like the variety, not because there is a better blade. Astra SP is a blade I use frequently, PolSilver SI, Voskhod, And Gillette Silver Blue are some other blades I enjoy and have bought bulk quantities of as well. I have enough blades to shave the rest of my life with at this point.

But Feather will likely always be my favorite blade, unless someone comes out with a new improved blade that is sharper, smoother, and longer lasting. But honestly they would likely cost $2.00 per blade, and I wouldn't pay that much for them.

Don't be afraid of the Feathers. They are sharp but they just need common sense when using. No pressure and correct angle. Go for it. You will be surprised.

David

+1 Yes feathers are sharp, but so are Astra's and Dorco's and Gillette's, heck they are razor blades. Just ensure you are using proper technique and pressure and you will be fine. I started off with Feather 2 years ago and finally switched to Astra's exclusively because at this point I just want as smooth a shave as possible.

I don't find they're much sharper.
but I do find they're way less durable. Lucky to get 2 shaves out of 1 feather.

Really? I can easily get 3-4 shaves (and that's with 3 passes). I am a big fan of Astra SPs, but Feathers are tops in my book (and the GSB's aren't too far behind).

I don't find they're much sharper.
but I do find they're way less durable. Lucky to get 2 shaves out of 1 feather.

I get well over 20 shaves from Feather blades, so they are durable. Some get 50 shaves from them and even more. Might be something to investigate as to why they only last for 2 shaves in your case. Is your beard really that tough that it dulls a blade after two shaves? And do all blades that you use only last for two shaves? Because in my experience Feathers are the longest lasting modern blade by far.

Could it be that your experience with Feather blades was on one blade or a bad 5 pack of blades perhaps??
Because if what you experienced was a common event reported then I would think that there wouldn't be many people shaving for 20,30, and up to 50 times with a Feather would you?

Perhaps the YMMV has some truth to it in the case of blades.

Due to my course thick hair, I've found Astra and Feather to do the job well but I'm a guy with over a year of shaving with Astra and persona the majority of the time and wheni had a feather blade I saved it due to its sharpness. Personna was good for my face for like 2 days and went out. Astra would be good for half a week and that's including my head, but Feather was something I had to master since I have to shave nearly everyday (my head) so it was a bloody battle let me tell ya. Now I stick to only feather and well dip to Astra if I want it really quick.

When people refer to Astra blades, they are often referring to the Astra Superior Platinum blades in the green packaging. However, there are also Astra Superior Stainless blades in the blue packaging. They are quite different. I wish people would specifically identify the blades they are talking about to avoid confusion.

I have a tough beard. Although I can shave with Astra SP blades, they are not quite sharp enough for my beard. I have never gotten a great shave with Astra SP blades. I realize that the blades are highly popular with many shavers, but I suspect they do not have a beard as tough as mine.

On the other hand, I love Astra SS blades in the blue package. I find them to be significantly sharper than Astra SP and just as smooth. There is a thread on B&B concerning the Astra SS blue blades that might be helpful

I love the sharpness of Feather blades right out of the wrapper. However, I find that Feather blades are some of the least durable blades I have ever tried. I get two great shave out of them, but I cannot make it through the third shave before the blades become harsh on my sensitive face. Most razor blades become sharper on the second shave than the first as the coating wears off. Feathers are one of the few blades that are sharper out of the wrapper than on the second shave.

The only way to learn which blades work for you in your razors is to try a bunch of them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom