What's new

Are Feathers a lot sharper than Astra blades?

I use both along with Iridiums and I personally feel that I have great difficulty using feathers back to back. I can slip it between an astra and Iridium but it is not as smooth as I would like.

Both great blades and the only two I now use. I find Feathers work very well in my Merkur Slant Bar.

I use both along with Iridiums and I personally feel that I have great difficulty using feathers back to back. I can slip it between an astra and Iridium but it is not as smooth as I would like.

+1

Astras are sharp but not as sharp as Feathers.

However, Astras are smoother.:thumbup1:

+1 with all of the above.

Feather, Astra, and Iridium are my favorite blades by far. Feathers can be tough on my skin if I use them more than two days in a row.

I honestly don't know where this "Feathers are only good for 2 shaves" deal is.

I remember when I FIRST started reading up on shaving with a DE, one of the major excuses to switch was for the fact that the blade lasts longer than a cartridge blade.

I stand by that.

I can use a feather for the whole week (almost 7 shaves) and EASILY not get a single blotch of burn.

Dip your razor in alcohol when you're done, it'll last you AT LEAST twice as long, minimum. I do 3 pass shaving always, WTG, XTG and ATG.

I also think that it might have to do with the fact that I use a slant, and the "slicing" motion is easier on the blade then the "chopping" motion of an open comb or standard bar.

Feather (or Astra) + Slant = Perfect Shave (only when perfected after a couple months of non-stop use) both blades are phenomenal, you'll never see the point of using any other combo, other than a strop and straight.

Thanks all you experienced folks for helping all us newbies out. I've been using Merkurs (getting better shaves almost every day, but I think it's because my technique is getting better) and I've got Wilkinson Swords, Crystals and some Feathers to try out. Think I'll save the Feathers for last, tho I'm using a '54 Superspeed which is pretty mild, so maybe a Feather would actually be a good thing.

Wow! I resurrected thread after 3.5 years! I like one of the earlier posts... sharp is not always better. Just about every blade is "sharp" but there are varying degrees. There are other important factors when choosing a blade including sharpness, smoothness, durability and consistency. Sure, Feathers are considered about the sharpest blade but I think they don't compare in the smoothness and durability areas for me. I have found that personna Labs, Astr SP, and Gillette 7 O'Clock blacks get high marks on all counts.

I would recommend getting technique down with the astra blade. I made the mistake of changing too many variables (soap, cream, brush, blade) before I got my technique where it needed to be. I had a really hard time the first couple of weeks. As far a sharpness, I think feathers are sharper , but I like the Astra blades better overall.

Astras never impressed me very much. A Feather truly does impress me. The Feather is a much sharper/smoother blade.

Feathers are sharper. But Astras are smoother. It's down to personal preference.

Twelve hours after shaving with a Feather my face feels like sandpaper. I attribute this to the "cleaner" cut the Feather blade makes.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
There are a few who used Feathers early in the learning process and lived to tell about it - but they are, indeed, few and far between. Most ended up expiring from blood loss.

Hold off on the Feathers until you're spot on with your pressure and blade angle.

I have a 100 pack of Feather and Astra blades, Feathers are my favorite blades then Astras. I will admit Astra tend to be a bit smoother, but I also love the screaming sharp of Japanese steel you HAVE to be on your technique with them. ALWAYS my choice if I have grown a week or so's worth of growth, they don't take no crap from no hair...a weeks worth of growth and it's like it's not even there.

Feather was indeed my first blade when I got back into DE shaving, got a few burns in the early day's but got lucky and didn't accidentally commit seppuku lol

Top Bottom