What's new

Your Favorite Scotch

I'd have exactly the same reaction, if I'd hear that someone would mix his scotch with anything else but a little amount of purified water. Even that purified water is sometimes too much of a mixer. :tongue_sm

The only appropriate answer to the question:

"Do you want anything with it?"

Is..............................................

Another one

:biggrin:

Neat......................... Just like Cary Grant

I like my scotch like my razor ... stright, and raised to my face a dozen times a day!

I like my women like my whiskey... 12 years-old and mixed-up with Coke!

But seriously, folks; I only drink my Scotch straight-up. Why would I want to dilute a perfectly good tumbler of spirits, with water, or cool it with ice?

Also: I vote for Lagavulin, but more often than not, I drink Teacher's (a very drinkable blended whiskey, equally good by itself, or in a cuppa coffee).

Laphroaig.

The 15 year is a treat, but the CASK STRENGTH is giddy joy!

No matter what I put Laphroaig up against, it wins.

Resurrecting this thread...

Caol Ila 18 yr old. All the best attributes of Islay malts with smoothness.

And very partial to Ardbeg, even the 10 yr old

Being a new Scotch drinker the best I've had, so far, is Glenfiddich. Wonderfully smooth stuff that's in my price range. Does anyone have any advice for climbing up the Glenfiddich ladder? I'm thinking of trying a bottle of 15yo next.

Being a new Scotch drinker the best I've had, so far, is Glenfiddich. Wonderfully smooth stuff that's in my price range. Does anyone have any advice for climbing up the Glenfiddich ladder? I'm thinking of trying a bottle of 15yo next.

My advice? Do it. They are much better than the 12.

Blended: Johnny Walker Blue Label (I can only afford to buy it on vacation)

Single Malt: Glenmoranjie Sherry Oak Finish (It's like nectar)

I prefer my scotch neat.

-80s

+1 on the Balvenie Doublewood

The 10 yr old MacAllan is a surprising malt - definitely worth a try and a reasonable buy as well (if you can find it)

I'm interested in Talisker but can't find a bar that serves it around here and I'd like to try before I buy.

I'll keep it simple.....Islay:w00t:

The one i hope to open before i die, Millburn Old Malt Cask 1967:lol:

Mind You! There's a whole continent full of wonderfull tipple, tipple we find hard to get hold of and oh-so miss over here:mad3:

Rye...Bourbon...Corn....You know what i'm talking about:tongue_sm

:smile:mace

Single Malt - Lagavulin (As good as the current offering is, I've been told it use to be even better. Sadly, I'll never find that out for myself. Neat is the only way to go with this one.)

Blend - Cutty Sark (Certainly a different flavor profile than Lagavulin, but there is just something about CS that I find very refreshing. I enjoy it on the rocks during the summer. A great one to gulp.)

A close second in the single malt category would have to be Highland Park 18. This is another one I enjoy neat. An outstanding whisky!

Timmy, have you tried HP 18? If so, how does it compare with HP 25? I've been told there is much difference between the two.

Ooooh, this is a dangerous thread for me; must contain myself lest I wax long and poetic on one of God's greatest gift to Man (and a few really cool chicks): Single Malt Scotch.

This list is applicable to scothes commonly available. Oh, and please pardon the spelling mistakes. If I go to my bar to check the labels I'll inevitably HAVE to have a few drams...and later today my yard will look crazy from my drunk-mowing.

Here goes.

Breakfast: Dalwhinne

Lunch: Oban

Dinner: McCallan 15 or Talisker

Apres Dinner: Lagavulin 16. Always.

Newest find: Scapa. An Islay with nice peat, a bit of salt air, and a delayed peppery finish (but not too peppery). Very tasty.

Now, if I really wanted to get going, I'd write about Single CASK scotches I get via the SMWS (Single Malt Whiskey Society) or, even, about tastings from the vaults at Leith. But I won't. My laptop battery would die before I was halfway finished.

Ken
Unabashed Scotch SNOB --and proud of it, by God!

Ps. No, I don't really have a dram with my morning cherrioes or noontime PB&J. "Breakfast" etc. for me just refers to the lightness or less serious / contemplative mood of the scotch. Uh Oh, now I'm getting started....must quit now!

Oban if there is no good Kentucky bourbon to be had:lol:

It amazes me that even here in Alabama, it is easier to find high-end scotch than high-end bourbon. We used to have Rock Hill Farms, Pappy Van Winkle, etc, but it is all gone from the shelves, now. It is a strict ABC state. :frown:

Tim

Pardon the sentimentality, I'm just thinking how cool it is to have tapped into Brethren who are interested in the finer things on the fringes of this life.

We are all "Sucking the Pap and Marrow of Life", shall we say?? Well, from taking one's time in the classic tradition of a man's morning ritual to savoring the slow satisfaction of a Malt thousands of years in the making...I'd say the answer to that question is a resounding "YES".

It's a rare thing, my friends, to find fellows around my age (35) who can --and want to-- appreciate many things beyond the Mach 3 or Dewars White Label (or Bud Light or Pop Music or Post 1980 films or etc., etc., etc). Certainly I have good buds like that and am okay with it. Still, I'm glad I found y'all.

Heaven help us were we ever to all get together in person!

Carry on, good Sirs, Carry on.

Ken

Timmy, have you tried HP 18? If so, how does it compare with HP 25? I've been told there is much difference between the two.

I have had both. I am a fan of the entire HP line, they produce outstanding whisky all around. Right now in the under $100 market there is nothing better than HP 18. The 25 runs around $300 a bottle, a huge price jump and there is also a big jump in quality, it's not just the extra 7 years in oak, the whisky that is chosen to age that long is the best casks the distillery has to offer. There is a lot of difference, but the additional $200 is hard to swing, which is why I don't own a bottle of the 25. The best way I can put it is that the 18 has much more in common with the 12 than the 25.

As for Lagavulin, I have bottles of the old and the new. There is a tremendous difference, honestly I'm not overly impressed with the new, especially considering it's reputation. I would rate the new an 89 (out of 100) not as good as Laphroaig 15, while I would rate the old at a 95, right up there with HP 25. A truly remarkable whisky.

For those of you interested in trying the old, check out Ebay, often mini's the White Horse crop up for sale at a reasonable cost.

Top Bottom