What's new

Gillette 1918 Khaki Set!

Ok, here's a true relic.

My father was going through some of my uncle's things after he died, and found HIS grandfather's safety razor. A Gillette 1918 Khaki Set. I'm having trouble determining whether it was made for WWI or not, but my great-grandfather did serve in that war.

Yes it was made for WWI. But as Achim says it was not sold to the US government. But that doesn't mean it wasn't in the war. Parents and friends could have bought them as gifts for soldiers or used them themselves. Most of the sets bought by the government had J serial numbers and both the case and the razor were marked Property U.S. Army.

Len

this is a civil set. It says: "Made in USA". The set´s for soldiers says: "Property US Army"

Yes it was made for WWI. But as Achim says it was not sold to the US government. But that doesn't mean it wasn't in the war. Parents and friends could have bought them as gifts for soldiers or used them themselves. Most of the sets bought by the government had J serial numbers and both the case and the razor were marked Property U.S. Army.

As they said. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Khaki Set razors were plated in nickel or chrome rather than silver.

proxy.php

proxy.php

really cool - I like the fact it has a personal history. The "FAN" blade was made from 1936 til the 1950's (per krumholz), this got use well after the war as well.

As they said. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Khaki Set razors were plated in nickel or chrome rather than silver.

That's a beautiful set. I have two of the U.S. Army razors that appear to be nickel plated and one is silver. I also have two non-Army razors that look like nickel as well.

Len

That's a beautiful set. I have two of the U.S. Army razors that appear to be nickel plated and one is silver. I also have two non-Army razors that look like nickel as well.

Thanks. That was a real lucky find in that complete condition. It seems like a lot of times the mirror or blade holder is missing.

Of course, I am missing one of the thumb tacks... :tongue_sm

Sweet! I'm not much into DE's but I'd like to pick one of those one day... they are cool! Even better that it is a "family" razor! :thumbup:

After doing some more research, it looks like my great-grandfather used this razor in the service. As mr-razor pointed out, it is not an Army issue, but rather a personal razor that he brought with him. I'm almost tempted to shave with it (with a new blade of course) and see how it goes... One interesting thing of note: the blade that was sitting in the razor head when it was found is still extremely sharp. I performed the hanging hair test and it sliced right through. Considering that the latest that this razor MAY have been used was 1958, I think that's pretty impressive of Gillette's Blue Blades to stay sharp for 51-52 years :thumbup:.

David

This razor is what lead me to B&B. I always liked them just because it was military memorabilia and I always wanted one. After doing google searches and ebay hunts I ended up on here. I think my first post was a WTB for this razor. Oh the memories........wait, that was only like three months ago...oh,well. :001_smile

After doing some more research, it looks like my great-grandfather used this razor in the service. As mr-razor pointed out, it is not an Army issue, but rather a personal razor that he brought with him. I'm almost tempted to shave with it (with a new blade of course) and see how it goes... One interesting thing of note: the blade that was sitting in the razor head when it was found is still extremely sharp. I performed the hanging hair test and it sliced right through. Considering that the latest that this razor MAY have been used was 1958, I think that's pretty impressive of Gillette's Blue Blades to stay sharp for 51-52 years :thumbup:.

David

Do it! Shave with it!
I have a Khaki Set identical to that and it shaves wonderful. My everday Gillette is an Old Style just a few years newer than that one. Best shave on the planet.
Wp

I would definitely shave with it but use a modern DE blade, which will work quite well. Not so sure about the vintage blades. To be clear you could use the old blades, but not sure what kind of shave you will get. On the other hand, it could qualify you for a Purple Heart!

I shave with my 1918, it's one of only two razors in my rotation. It's a fantastic shaver! :thumbup1: You can spend more money for a razor, but it would be difficult to find a better one.

I just bought one and had to return it. The razor in the set did not look like the other ones on line. Maybe it was switched out in the past. Any ideas on this?

Top Bottom