What's new

DR Harris Pink vs. SCS Savory Rose

Gents, I have used DR Harris Pink AS for the past 6 years. I always found it be be an excellent product worth the steep $35 price. I tend to use AS sparingly so a little goes a long way in my household.

full

I usually stick with products that work for me. My days of hoarding and trying every product on earth eclipsed about 3 years ago. I rarely buy new products. I get many offers to try new products but usually turn them down. Why mess with a good thing when you know what works.

Sometime last year Sue from Saint Charles Shave sent me a sample of SCS Savory Rose AS in an order I placed. It sat in my drawer for 6 months before I came across it and decided to try it. The rose scent is more pronounced than DR Harris. A big plus in my book. The healing and soothing properties are equal. My face feels refreshed. The greatest advantage of this product is the price. You get the same amount all for $10. I don't know about you but the savings is irresistible.

full

Will I buy DR Harris again after my bottle runs out? Probably not. I will save the moolah and buy Savory Rose instead. Check it out for yourself.

http://www.saintcharlesshave.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto on quality. I'm very sold on SCS's splashes and products. Savory Rose is very potent in scent so non rose fans be warned. Also, if I'm not mistaken I get a menthol kick from it.

SCS
is 118 ml.
scent - powdery, synthetic, long lived, matches trumper rose exactly.
High alcohol with panthenol.
Packaging - basic no faults, does the job

DRH
is 100 ml.
scent - refined, short lived.
low alcohol with paraben and glycerin.
Packaging - regal, expensive labeling

The pink has the awesome refined scent going for it, but I'll buy the other DR Harris aftershaves for that, and they contain more alcohol which is my preference. SCS has a phenomenal price considering it contains panthenol which is very expensive. $60 per 100ml.

This type of endorsement by such a respected member of the board should be enough to put anyone who has been on the fence about Sue's A/S line over the top. But as Lavar Burton used to say "You don't have to take my word for it..."

For $10, pony up and try it yourselves. It's a wonderful rose A/S, you won't be disappointed.

Great post Austin!

I have both the Harris and the SCS Rose and i'd also like to mention Thayers Rose Witch hazel. I rarely mention witch hazel as i don't use it in an A/S capacity; however, it seems to be very similar in scent and feel to the Harris (at a fraction of the cost.) It's no alcohol and contains a few face goodies... but all in all with these three products i really render Harris pink (almost) obsolete.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Now this is a ringing endorsement. I love the Harris Pink. Ive always wanted to try someting from SCS. I may pull the trigger on some Aftershave Milk

Well, if I hadn't already decided to give SCS Rose AS a try (and the Sandalwood, too), this would have helped push me over the edge. I am anxious to get mine and try it out. :thumbup1:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
This type of endorsement by such a respected member of the board should be enough to put anyone who has been on the fence about Sue's A/S line over the top.

Why thank you, thank you. Wait, ummm, you meant Andrew. :lol:

Sanuginz' description was great, too. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Great post Austin!

I have both the Harris and the SCS Rose and i'd also like to mention Thayers Rose Witch hazel. I rarely mention witch hazel as i don't use it in an A/S capacity; however, it seems to be very similar in scent and feel to the Harris (at a fraction of the cost.) It's no alcohol and contains a few face goodies... but all in all with these three products i really render Harris pink (almost) obsolete.

Thayer's Rose is an awesome complement!

How is the lavender scent? Mild, light?

Also, my wife loves the Sahara balm! It smells awesome and even though I don't like balms it feels amazing.

The lavender scent is slightly medicinal. I like that in lavender. It's quality.

Did anyone write out the words "Saint Charles Shave" (there I just did)? I ask because I spent the first three weeks here in utter confusion over abbreviations, besides it messes with the search feature. I still get confused over the (overuse) of abbreviations here.

For instance, I would have been totally confused over DRH. Pink, and T Witch hazel.:lol:

Try to help the new people out when you can. For instance, I realize that Saint Charles Shave shows up on the bottle above, but the search feature would not pull up what's written on a bottle. Have some pity on the clueless!

Last edited:
Did anyone write out the words "Saint Charles Shave" (there I just did)? I ask because I spent the first three weeks here in utter confusion over abbreviations, besides it messes with the search feature. I still get confused over the (overuse) of abbreviations here.

For instance, I would have been totally confused over DRH. Pink, and T Witch hazel.:lol:

Try to help the new people out when you can. For instance, I realize that Saint Charles Shave shows up on the bottle above, but the search feature would not pull up what's written on a bottle. Have some pity on the clueless!

Sorry about that. I get tired of typing. :laugh:

I would imagine that instead of asking 20K people to change what they do, it might be more effective to check the wiki to see if there might be something that explains the "madness" :001_smile

EDIT: Andrew, I agree. SCS *** are about as good as it gets. That and the GB *** are my favorites!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I received a bottle of SCS Bulgarian lavender splash from the always-too-generous Jim. :ouch1:

It's fantastic- one of the best aftershaves I can name.:thumbup1:

Last edited:
Thanks for the Wiki suggestion. Now, I'll see if I can get the search feature to consult the Wiki (maybe it does).

I'm not opposed to anyone using SCS or any other abbreviation. However, it would help if the first poster to a thread would do something like this: Saint Charles Shave (SCS).

Now, before I come across (even more) as a 60 year old female librarian, I'll zip it. :lol:

Top Bottom