What's new

what is the best shaving mug,bowl

Couple of my bowls, and yep, they were all cheap.

Found this one at a local antiques mall on sale for $4.00. SWMBO is hinting for this one.
proxy.php

Found this one at Wally World. It's a "salsa dish." Cost a whopping $1.65 with tax.
proxy.php

Just found this mug at a different antique mall. Picked it and the brush up for $10. Mainly wanted the brush to restore since I find the mug a bit too tall.
proxy.php

Don't have pics of the mugs I use to hold soap but they were found at a local Goodwill for less than 50 cents for two. I like the older style coffee mugs since they're shorter.

Charlie

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
narativesoul:
Some time ago, I purchased a Robert Becker Ceramic (medium with Lid and Flat Stopper), 'Cactus Sand' Scuttle and although I've used it many times, I'm still kind of partial to using my 'own' Sterling Silver Baby Cup my Mother (finally!!), gave me (as my family Keepsake), many...many 'moons' ago (it's engraved with my name, birthday and these notes;

"To Smoke is Human...To Smoke Cigars is Divine"

"A Great Lather is Half the Shave"

One benefit of face lathering is that it gives a great exfoliating sensation on my face which I find quite pleasing and look forward to every morning. When I go for a second pass (atg),...I just re-lather with hot water.

Another benefit of my cup is that is small enough (2 1/2in wide), that it would easily fits my Chelsea's Unscented Shave Soap perfectly...unwrap...in the cup...no hassles...no issues and at the same time only being 2in deep, it prevents almost all shave brush 'clanking'. :thumbup:

proxy.php
[/IMG]

Christopher
proxy.php

Here is my shaving mug made by Julie at Dirty Bird. I build my lather in this and transfer it to my matching scuttle.

Here is my shaving mug made by Julie at Dirty Bird. I build my lather in this and transfer it to my matching scuttle.
Julie is making a scuttle for me now with my initials! After seeing this I'm even more excited to get it!

I've actually got a Walmart glass Sundae bowl that was about $1.50 that I absolutely love.

With that said I also have a GP G5 scuttle, but to be honest I never use the thing.

And to top all that off, today I felt the need to buy something, so I went ahead and ordered a Bill Bowl from Dirty Bird. Julie was very helpful and I cannot wait to receive it. If this thing tops my Walmart bowl I may PIF and buy another as this was the only color she had in stock! (Red)

It seems like everyone will always have a different favorite, which is sort of to be expected, but that just means almost anything will work. Heck I bet you could make a bowl out of duct tape and it would work to a certain extent!

I've got a green plastic salsa bowl from Wal-Mart that cost $1.50. It's sturdy as hell and it's made in the USA. I don't think I could break this thing unless I actually tried to break it, if that makes any sense. It's the perfect size for lathering and it honestly doesn't look half bad next to the rest of my shaving gear.

I posted this before in another thread but here is a custom made shave mug that Julie at "Dirty Bird Pottery" made me.

Attachments

• $IMG_1259.jpg
    $IMG_1259.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 672
  • $IMG_1261.jpg
    $IMG_1261.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 669
  • $IMG_1262.jpg
    $IMG_1262.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 670
  • $IMG_1263.jpg
    $IMG_1263.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 665
  • $IMG_1264.jpg
    $IMG_1264.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 669
What is the best shaving mug or bowl? It doesn't get much more subjective than that. You need to define what would make a shaving mug best for you.

For the first eight or nine months I used cups and bowls from the kitchen cupboard. Being a recent widower at the time I didn't have any firsthand evidence, but I'm guessing that wouldn't set well with SWMBO. I decided to get a REAL shaving mug before my social life made it an issue.

Functionally is a concern. It needs to be comfortable for you to hold, large enough for you to swirl your brush in, deep enough that lather isn't always spilling over the top, and it would be nice if it was wide enough to accept your pucks of soap without having to mill them down or melt them, but that isn't necessary. If this vessel is only going to be used to load your brush it can be smaller than one that your are going to whip up a lather in.

If you want something that holds heat go with a ceramic scuttle, mug or bowl. I sometimes fill a stoneware bowl with the hottest water I can get from the then dump it, build lather in the bowl, and then float the bowl in a sink of hot water between passes. This gives me warm lather for many passes. I could probably accomplish the same warm lather by floating a metal bowl in a sink of hot water as the heat would quickly be conducted. The metal bowl might float a little high and thus be be easily capsized or flooded.

Are you trying to match a particular decor? If so, you may be looking for an off the shelf mug or bowl originally intended for dining, food prep, or general decorating, or you may need a potter to knock out something custom for you.

Do you have space issues in your shaving den? I would love to have a nice big scuttle, but my apartment doesn't have any counter space to speak of. The Old Spice and Seaforth mugs work great in a small space. You can even stack them up to save counter space.

Do you have to have it immediately? You may have to settle for what you can find at whatever local stores you have in your area. That may be a soup or coffee mug. It may be a mug, shaving or otherwise, from an antique mall or Goodwill.

If you want something that says "A manly man shaves here", consider the Old Spice or Seaforth mugs.

If you have lots of space and money, consider a large scuttle.

If you have hobbies, interests, or a profession to boast about, consider this a way to collect coffee mugs on those subjects.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
There is, of course, no best anything for everyone.

However: 4"-5" wide (unless you like the sound of the brush clanging against the side of the bowl). 3"-4" deep (unless you like the lather climbing over the sides). Ceramic, to hold the heat. Lines scored in both directions to make lathering easier. To make this perfect it would sit in an enclosed container of warm water so even your last pass was accompanied by warm lather - but then we'd have to call it that other name.

Another +1 for the Marvy Shaving Mug. I also have the EJ Apothecary mug and a small stainless steel bowl I got off of Amazon but they have been gathering dust ever since the Marvy arrived.

I know it sounds crazy, but I picked up the perfect shave bowl for me at PetSmart. Over in the cat section they had several different size stainless steel cat bowls with a rubber ring on the bottom so the don't slide. It's the perfect size for me and I think it was like $2. Lathers great and very easy clean up. Win/win.

I found a small wooden bowl, 'bout 5 1/2" x 1 3/4"... a salad bowl type thingie, at a thrift store. My theory is it has a slightly rougher surface and makes for creating lather, more scientific-y.

Oh well. It's a theory. It fits in my hands just right and I like it.

It is funny how there is pride and money is no object when it comes to the best lather, the best blade, the best razor.... and the cheapest danged bowl one can find. I'm in that group.

Top Bottom