What's new

Japanese Straights the Pinnacle?

It's like... "Gee, if I get a fishing rod, I'll never have to buy a fish again..."

And then we get into fly fishing...

Egad. I've spent more on fly fishing gear than I would EVER have spent on fish.

I feel you there, mine is salt water fishing, but you know what they say, if you give a man a fish you will feed him for a day, but if you teach a man to fish it will probably cause him to end up losing his job some day. :lol:

Last edited:
If it gets better that with a western style straight, I'd like to see some specifics as to why as opposed to preference. Do the BBS shaves last for 24 instead of 10 hours? :001_huh:

Easier on the skin? Anything quantifiable?

My 6/8" Iwasaki brought my shaves to a whole new level .

My many different makes of western style straights all provide a good comfortable shave . But this Iwasaki keeps making me smile after every shave . You know the feeling after you rinse with cold water and feel your face ? It astounds me every time . I always say , "now that's an edge" .

Also the Iwasaki holds its uber keen edge way longer than any western style . Including my TI C135 Carbonsong and the Hart O-1 tool steel . These two are probably the closest to the Iwasaki . I said close , not equal . Also beats out several custom razors I have that cost 2-4 times what the Iwasaki cost . My beard dulls those western styles in one shave . And that is with good shave prep with a hot towel and lather after a hot shower .

cityjim

My 6/8" Iwasaki brought my shaves to a whole new level .

My many different makes of western style straights all provide a good comfortable shave . But this Iwasaki keeps making me smile after every shave . You know the feeling after you rinse with cold water and feel your face ? It astounds me every time . I always say , "now that's an edge" .

Also the Iwasaki holds its uber keen edge way longer than any western style . Including my TI C135 Carbonsong and the Hart O-1 tool steel . These two are probably the closest to the Iwasaki . I said close , not equal . Also beats out several custom razors I have that cost 2-4 times what the Iwasaki cost . My beard dulls those western styles in one shave . And that is with good shave prep with a hot towel and lather after a hot shower .

cityjim

I loved the Japanese razor (Western Style) that I used. :thumbup1: However, I can't say that anything that was better than the German or US steel that I tried. The Japanese style razor that I tried was fun, but didn't compare to my Western style razor. I'm perfectly confident that they can get incredibly sharp, but I've not experienced it. It would be fun, though! :thumbup:

I loved the Japanese razor (Western Style) that I used. :thumbup1: However, I can't say that anything that was better than the German or US steel that I tried. The Japanese style razor that I tried was fun, but didn't compare to my Western style razor. I'm perfectly confident that they can get incredibly sharp, but I've not experienced it. It would be fun, though! :thumbup:

You might try a real Iwasaki like mine . I don't know if you are an E-Bay shopper our what . Where did you get yours or the one your admitted trying out ? Maybe you got a Chinese copy ?? All I know is mine will peal a layer of skin off your face . Course YMMV .

cityjim

I find the feel of the shave is totally different and yes the shave does last hours longer than a western straight.

Everthing is relative. To a guy driving around in a Yugo it's the best car in the world. The guy with the chevy thinks his is best and the guy with the Cadillac thinks the same. it's only when you get to the next level you realize there is better. Is there an ultimate?

I still maintain if you have a Japanese Razor and use it with facility and are not getting proper shaves it's not shave ready.

Using and maintaining a Japanese straight is kind of like stropping. It appears to be simple and straightforward but is a definite skill that must be learned. Also I think many seasoned shavers would probably be insulted if told their Japanese straight isn't as sharp as it should be.

Last edited:
I find the feel of the shave is totally different and yes the shave does last hours longer than a western straight.

That's why I say that JP razors are in fact better than Western razors. People might feel more comfortable with the technique involved with a Western razor but the shave itself is better with a JP razor.

I was looking for the right place to share my experiences with The Purist, and this seems the best spot, so I'll park myself here to say...

I'm now the proud recipient of The Purist #001, and it is pure steel heaven. As much as I adore it, my hunch is that y'all with far more experience than I in shaving with Japanese straights will enjoy it even MORE than I do. My shave of choice is typically one of two Robert Williams customs with extraordinarily heavy scales (perfectly balanced with big blades), and so it's taken me a few passes to get the hang of the raw naked blade of the Purist.

To an experienced shaver with Japanese straights, this will be experienced as a feat of engineering like no other. It must be remembered that Robert Williams is so exacting that he builds his own measuring devices just to ensure that blade thickness is uniform. At present, my #1, #2 and #3 favorite shaves all are forged by Robert's hands, as I've yet to find anything to match his ability to bend steel to his wishes. And he understands the practical aspects of shaving as much as he does the finest refinements of ornamentation.

The Purist is to razorsmithing what roasting a chicken is to true chefdom -- no frills, no scales, just a true test of the razorsmith's craft. And the Purist is a streamlined distillation of centuries of craftsmanship. Perfect!

I suppose if I rate it for blade + scales, it gets a 5. (10 for blade and 0 for scales.) That's supposed to be funny, but I'm allergic to emoticons.

Cheers,
Mark

The Japanese straights are certainly sexy blades but I just couldn't get the hang of them. BBS one day, rough and bloody the next. The Iwasaki took a scary edge. I really hated to let it go but it was time. I tried the Tosuke a bit longer but eventually it went too. I can't see keeping razors like that in the drawer. It just doesn't seem right not to use them. After reading this I might need to look into on a Purist.

Last edited:
The Japanese straights are certainly sexy blades but I just couldn't get the hang of them. BBS one day, rough and bloody the next. The Iwasaki took a scary edge. I really hated to let it go but it was time. I tried the Tosuke a bit longer but eventually it went too. I can't see keeping razors like that in the drawer. It just doesn't seem right not to use them. After reading this I might need to look into on a Purist.

I feel the same way, I had that tosuke, sold it got an iwasaki and sold it. Best shaves of my life even after mastering it. It was just too much hassle for me.

Purist #3 belongs to Ambrose :thumbup: cant wait

proxy.php

proxy.php

Wow. Nice, Ambrose.

Fortunately, I missed Telly's JP straight sale, and they (Japanese Straights) are beyond my means again. :biggrin1:

I feel the same way, I had that tosuke, sold it got an iwasaki and sold it. Best shaves of my life even after mastering it. It was just too much hassle for me.

Purist #3 belongs to Ambrose :thumbup: cant wait

proxy.php

proxy.php

I really don't care what number mine is, but I received pics of #3 as well last night from Mr Williams.

I have Prototype 2 of the Purist (different than the pictures and a different stand) and I do love it. i am a newbie but have caught on pretty quick and took the plunge. I have one shave with it and it is an awesome blade but then again, I have tried many. Its definitely better than my western beginner straight but I am looking forward to more shaves from it and anything else i get addicted to buying!

I know I'm being nitpicky, but I really wouldn't consider The Purist a Japanese straight razor.

It's a gorgeous piece of craftsmanship, but really it is just a Western straight with a handle instead of scales that is made in the style of a Japanese straight.

Love it or leave it, but to me, the key distinguishing point of a Japanese razor is the asymmetry of the blade.

I'm curious as to what hidden magical feature in that stand allows the razor to be placed in it blade-down - surely it's not resting on the cutting edge?

I'm curious as to what hidden magical feature in that stand allows the razor to be placed in it blade-down - surely it's not resting on the cutting edge?

Nothing magical.

The notch in the stand is narrower than the width of the blade spine. Therefore, when placed properly, the edge does not touch the wood. It's similar to the scales on a regular straight.

I can't tell from the pic, but the notch may get wider as it gets lower, making it even less likely that the edge will touch anything.

Ah ha! You woodworking types are very crafty indeed...

This is awesome, though. Simple, functional, elegant - very cool.

Nothing magical.

The notch in the stand is narrower than the width of the blade spine. Therefore, when placed properly, the edge does not touch the wood. It's similar to the scales on a regular straight.

I can't tell from the pic, but the notch may get wider as it gets lower, making it even less likely that the edge will touch anything.

I simply haven't had a good experience with a Japanese non folding straight. I suspect none of the edges were as sharp as they could be. I'm always willing to be convinced otherwise, so if anyone of the wise masters would like to send me a wicked sharp one to try (references and/or collateral available upon request)
In the meantime, I'll enjoy my Japanese folding razor and westerns, and oh yeah, my new Purist too. ;)

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
*****UPDATE*****

I'm attempting to learn to use a kamisori. Sir Telly was kind enough to locate a very nice one for me and I am enjoying the new challenge.

It's an interesting shave without a doubt. Had my first draw of blood in a long time with mine the other day. It is the wrong choice of razor when in a hurry, at least at this time.

Top Bottom