What's new

Diluting old spice - Overpowering Smell

Hi

I just got my first few bottles of Old spice (Indian Variant) after reading good reviews about it on the board. I have bought the atomizer versions of musk, original & lime in 3 successive days & I find the smells to be extremely overpowering:blink:. I'm making a Usain Bolt-esque dash for my inhaler within the first few minutes.

Is there a way by which I can temper these smells to a tolerable (subjective) level? I have a bunch of my cousin's alcohol bottles lying around. I have never consumed alcohol, but I know vodka is supposed to be odorless and tasteless(?). Could I add a bit of it into all 3 bottles of the old spice without making an absolute mess of it? I know it probably sounds stupid, but I'm unable to think of another solution, leaving the one which involves buying another bottled solution, which could again be too strong for my nose to handle.

Are there milder smelling after shave splashes that I can use?. I stay in India & could get them shipped to a friend or relative who's going to be travelling to India, the same way I got my first batch of DE shaving goods less than a month ago. I have asked my cousin's boss from Germany to get a few bottles of Alt-Innsbruck for me, the next time he's here in India on work. I assumed that an Austrian product would be easily available in Germany.

Thanks & it would be great to have your inputs - for both mild splashes & dilution techniques:laugh:

It's nearly a month since I started shaving & I'm weirdly look forward to the next day of shaving, something I used to hate until a month ago.

Thanks!

(I gave the old spice musk to my cousin & he did not have a problem with the smell, so: - I now have two bottles to worry about)

G

GLteam

You might be able to 'cut it' with witch hazel. Another suggestion is to cut it with distilled water, and pour that mixture into an atomizer bottle. Distilled or purified water is better than using plain tap water. Witch hazel has a very small alcohol content and should do the trick quite well.

If you use alcohol as a dilution, you are just adding more of that 'alcohol' aroma, and would take from the indended scent of your original cologne.

When wearing a strong cologne, spray ONE spritz on the back of your neck, so as some lands on the skin of your neck, and some lands on your shirt collar. This is the gentleman's way of spraying on colonge. You want to walk into the room before your cologne does. A subtle scent is the goal. Do not 'bathe in cologne' by spraying more than one spritz.

Last edited by a moderator:
put more water in yoru hand before you apply the aftershave and/or use less product!

This.

If it is an aftershave you are talking about, start with very wet hands and put just a tiny bit of the aftershave splash on the same hand. Then rub your hands together and then apply the splash by patting your hands on your face.

This.

If it is an aftershave you are talking about, start with very wet hands and put just a tiny bit of the aftershave splash on the same hand. Then rub your hands together and then apply the splash by patting your hands on your face.

Yup, don't try adding anything to it. It will most likely end up as wasted cash.

Thanks for all your replies. The reason I did not broach upon dilution with water is - that I really like the mild stinging effect I feel, after applying the after shave splash. Why mild?- since I'm done with the extreme facial contortions when I massage the alum block on my face.

Kingfisher & GroomRoom & others, thanks again for your advice. Strangely, I've been doing exactly what Kingfisher mentioned in his post. I thinks it's basically my low tolerance to strong smells than anything to do with the product. GroomRoom, I'm going to try that witch hazel dilution method which you adviced. The one that I'm getting in 2 days time is supposed to have an alcohol content of 14%, so I think the alcohol "bite" should remain in the resulting new spice remix.

Thanks Again for all your replies!.

When wearing a strong cologne, spray ONE spritz on the back of your neck, so as some lands on the skin of your neck, and some lands on your shirt collar. This is the gentleman's way of spraying on colonge. You want to walk into the room before your cologne does. A subtle scent is the goal. Do not 'bathe in cologne' by spraying more than one spritz.

Thanks for this too!.

Thinking of smells: I've been using an "Of a Man" after shave balm from the body shop which is very mild and pleasant smelling. Nothing overtly masculine about it..but nice & If I'm in a room, I'll be pretty sure that people standing 20 feet away from me are not going to smell it, unlike the old spice splash.

Best smell that I have liked in this 1 month of DE Shaving: Proraso shaving cream. I'll try and get their splash shipped here.

Last edited:
I agree with the recommendation to dilute it with water. If this doesn't work out you could send the Old Spice to me. :tongue_sm

Top Bottom