What's new

I want a splash exactly like Speick...but not Speick

I love my Speick, but I need some olfactory variety here, fellas. What I'm looking for, basically, is a splash that has all the qualities of Speick but a different scent, just to switch it up once in a while. To be explicit:

Desired Characteristics
  • No menthol or only a little (Speick lists it as an ingredient but I can barely tell it's in there)
  • Plenty of skin goodies
  • Scent: more herbal/light than spicy/heavy. What I mean is more like the scents of European aftershaves than American ones. No, that's still not quite right. "Speick-like" is too vague. How about NOT like Old Spice, Clubman, AV, or Proraso (edit: also Tabac)? Maybe that'll clarify it a bit. Herbal, citrus, floral, light woodsy notes--all good.

What I've Tried
  • Alt Innsbruck--nice scent, too mentholy
  • Swiss Pitralon--too mentholy, didn't care for the scent
  • Hattric--good feeling splash, scent so-so. I hesitate to ante up for a full bottle since I'm not really in love with it. Also, the scent seems to last quite a while and I'd rather it not interfere with my cologne.
  • Irisch Moos--nice feeling, nice scent. Can't find an ingredients list to see if this has goodies in it. Anyone care to post the list from the back of their bottle? I'm not absolutely in love with this but I think I like it better than Hattric
  • Arlington--gives me a headache for some wierd reason
  • SCS Woods--menthol...again

What I've Found

What I'd like are some more specifics on the above splashes (ingredients list, your review of scent and effectiveness), and any others I should look into that aren't on the list. And if anyone is willing to sell me some small decants, that'd be even better. :thumbup1:

I await the bestowing of the legendary B&B collective wisdom...:biggrin1:

Last edited:
What about Tabac? Tabac Man? (it's substantially different to Tabac, I'm through a full bottle of Tabac and half of a Tabac Man bottle) And not to forget the German Pitralon.

Tabac is no-go--tried it and it didn't agree with me (the soap and the shave cream as well). I should edit my post to reflect that. How is the Tabac man different from the regular Tabac? ANd how's the menthol level in the German Pitralon?

How about some Saint Charles Shave Extract of Lime aftershave milk?

Has plenty of skin goodies, to be sure: witchhazel, allantoin, aloe, etc. Smells nice and not like an old American barbershop. Feels great and leaves no residue.

Another possibility would be the Oakmoss-Lavendula, but I think this one is a balm, rather than a milk (could be wrong here).

I've tried both those, and like the Oakmoss Lavendula (still working on finishing my sample bottle). I'm looking for a splash with alcohol, though. I'm pretty happy with my balms and no-alcohol splashes, but Speick is my only splash with alcohol and I'd like to round out my lineup. Does Aspect come in a splash? Maybe I can ask Sue to tone the menthol down a bit for me. My memory of the Lime and Mediterraean citrus splashes was that they were pretty cold.

I didn't know you wanted alcohol. That would rule out all Sue's milks.

Pretty sure she'd help out with a less mentholated version of whatever splash you are interested in. The way I remember the Lime splash and Mediterranean Citrus splash is that the Lime had more alcohol and the Med Citrus had more menthol. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. I get some burn but not much cooling from the Lime splash.

Emmet - Like you, I am a huge fan of Speick :D I would use it every day if I wasn't afraid of using it up too fast! I'd stay away from Med. Citrus from Sue - loooots of Menthol and scent is pretty crazy.

Musgo splash?

No menthol.
Really good for your skin - has aloe and witch hazel. May well be best in class.
Scent may be the issue. It's vetiver and patchouli, so more on the woody side, and may be too heavy for you. Many don't use a cologne because the scent has longevity.

Musgo splash?

No menthol.
Really good for your skin - has aloe and witch hazel. May well be best in class.
Scent may be the issue. It's vetiver and patchouli, so more on the woody side, and may be too heavy for you. Many don't use a cologne because the scent has longevity.

I was looking at the Musgo, and got turned off by the patchouli, yeah. Shame b/c it sounds like it's great for your skin. :sad:

I didn't know you wanted alcohol. That would rule out all Sue's milks.

Pretty sure she'd help out with a less mentholated version of whatever splash you are interested in. The way I remember the Lime splash and Mediterranean Citrus splash is that the Lime had more alcohol and the Med Citrus had more menthol. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. I get some burn but not much cooling from the Lime splash.

That's how my review notes give it, too. I'm waiting till the Aspect EdT comes back in stock to make an order, so I'll make a note to ask about reduced menthol then.

[*]Irisch Moos--nice feeling, nice scent. Can't find an ingredients list to see if this has goodies in it. Anyone care to post the list from the back of their bottle?

Alcohol Denat., Aqua, Butylene Glycol, Parfum, Benzophenone-3, Linalool, Limonene, Eugenol, Citric Acid, Coumarin, Amyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Benzyl Benzoate, Evernia Prunastri Extract, Citronellol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Propylene Glycol, Geraniol, Citral, Benzyl Salicylate, CI 61570 (Green 5), CI 47005 (Yellow 10), CI 42090 (Blue 1)

Alcohol Denat., Aqua, Butylene Glycol, Parfum, Benzophenone-3, Linalool, Limonene, Eugenol, Citric Acid, Coumarin, Amyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Benzyl Benzoate, Evernia Prunastri Extract, Citronellol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Propylene Glycol, Geraniol, Citral, Benzyl Salicylate, CI 61570 (Green 5), CI 47005 (Yellow 10), CI 42090 (Blue 1)

Thank you!

Top Bottom