What's new

Absolute beginner, is this straight razor worth restoring

I bought this razor in France for 2 euros, ca. 3 dollars, and I would like some information, year, quality, and if it is worth restoring. Thanks.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

What's written on it? I can't make the writing, I'm getting old!

The edge seems all right, there's a bit in the middle that seems smaller but I'm unsure if it's an effect from the camera. A good sanding and it should be ready to be honed!

Luc

Staff member
Well, sanding with a 800-1200 sandpaper should help with the rust/pitting but I will let a honer respond to the wave in the middle of the blade, usually, not a good sign...

If nothing else, it will make a good "practice" razor for restoration. Considering you have spent very little on it, if you ruin the blade you've lost very little.

The main worry is the extent of the rust. From the pictures, I am positive about the chances of this being turned into a nice shaving razor. A big positive is that the larger areas of rust are somewhat above the cutting edge. However, a few times I've seen rust like this that had tunneled downward more than appearances and ruined the blade. But, chances are your chances are good.

Thanks for the advices. I´ll do my best. Anybody can tell me what do I need to restore it and finally shave with it (sanding paper, hone, strop, etc). Thanks

Luc

Staff member
For the sandpaper, you can probably start with a 600 grit and then go higher to have a better finish. I usually do something with 400-600-800-1200. Be prepared to have a few hours of sanding unless you use something like a dremel. Be careful with those, you can kill the razor in less than a second. Wear latex gloves unless you want dirty hands at the end. Always be mindful of the edge.

For the edge and strop, I would wait, start by sanding first.

If nothing else, it will make a good "practice" razor for restoration. Considering you have spent very little on it, if you ruin the blade you've lost very little.

that's my position.

cheapies to practice sanding, polishing, sanding and rescaling.

And no tears shed when it doesn't work out.

I have seen worse turn out pretty nice! Give it a try. If it is made in Germany you know it has good steel.

Top Bottom