What's new

Advice on camp stoves

First of all, put away the pitchforks and torches, I still use charcoal for most of my cooking while camping. However, I just bought an Everlite travel trailer, and I would like to use the indoor stove as little as possible because of the smell inside. I used to have a pop-up that allowed the stove to be placed outside, but the travel trailer doesn't do that. Anyone have any experience with Camp Chef stoves? They look pretty versatile with the modular attachments and all.

Of course, I can still use my one burner backpack stove in the meantime, but would be nice to have a bigger unit to set up outside the trailer.

I haven't used the Camp Chef stoves, but keep a couple of the old Coleman green stoves around just in case. I'd think older ones would be reasonable used and they're pretty bulletproof. I like that the lids can act as windscreens and that you can use full-sized pots and pans on them.

I haven't been backpacking for awhile, but I wouldn't use a backpacking stove unless I was backpacking. They're usually a little tippy and best suited to small pots. Still, there pretty good if you have to pack it along.

Backpacking stoves work very well. The MSR Whisperlite or a Svea 123 are great stoves. I agree that the green Coleman stoves are good performers. They just are not as small and light weight.

Since you are talking about vehicle based camping rather than backpacking, I don't think you're really going to find better than the green Colemans. Mostly the fancier stoves are about minimizing the tradeoffs of smaller, lighter stoves.

Propane would also probably suit you fine, since in cold weather you would probably use the indoor stove instead. I personally just don't like taking cans of compressed gas into the bush, myself. Flammable liquid hydrocarbons are fine though. ;) I generally prefer and recommend white gas (naptha, "Coleman gas") stoves for outdoor applications because of the lower freezing point. Propane tanks stop working if they get too cold.

If you don't have a Coleman or similar white gas lantern, you should really check them out also. They are great for area lighting and use the same fuel. Nothing else comes close to giving you as much light over as long a period IMO.

A two burner Camp Chef is the Mac Daddy of camp stoves. I used Coleman stoves for years, but the Camp Chef is superior, if a bit larger and heaver. Perfect for car camping.

I have my Coleman lantern and white gas campstove since 1973-

I have an adapter for bulk tank propane for the stove. Makes getting the cowboy coffee done in the morning a bit quicker.:thumbup1:

I have my Coleman lantern and white gas campstove since 1973-

I have an adapter for bulk tank propane for the stove. Makes getting the cowboy coffee done in the morning a bit quicker.:thumbup1:

Aye, for car camping Coleman is the way to go, my dad's got a practical Coleman museum leftover from upgraded boy scout equipment. Including the lantern in Coleman Green, Red and Chrome!

When I'm going backwoods I take a MSR Whisperlite.

I don't have any white gas equipment. Actually have a propane lantern, and my backpack stove is propane as well. That being said, I do like the idea of the good old Coleman green stove. I am still considering options. Since weight and size are not much of an issue, and considering that the trailer has a propane outlet on the side, I will likely go with a propane model. The Camp Chef appears to be a manly stove for men.

I would recommend a portable/travel grill. Either the Coleman Road Trip or the Thermos one. We do a lot of horse camping and those work great. The Coleman 2 burners also work well, but they can be fiddly with the white gas and there is not as much surface area nor do they have griddle inserts.

If you are going propane go with the Camp Chef, nicely made. A friend brought one to our annual bird hunting trip last winter and it worked very nicely.

As stated above numerous times- if you want to go white gas you cannot beat the old Colemans.

The only downside to propane is at very high altitudes they do not work as well, +7,000 feet or so. The higher you go the more trouble you can get with propane. At high enough altitude they quit on you. With the white gas you control the gas pressure by pumping and they work at the highest altitudes, although they do need more frequent pumping.

I usually camp at 6,000 feet and have had no trouble with propane items. I use a propane tent heater during hunting season. But, there is a warning in the instructions that says do not use above 7,000 feet.

A good used two- burner Coleman should be no more than about $20. If you decide to go this route be sure to check the tank and pump and make sure it pressurizes properly and will hold the pressure. I buy these at thrift stores, clean them up and give them as gifts. I actually bring a small jar of white gas to test them before I buy. Of course, they have to let you take them outside, but most places will.

Enjoy your travels:thumbup1:

We used the Camp Chef and loved it. It was my in-laws, so I had to give it back. The griddle was great for breakfast, and we were able to use the "BBQ" to cook burgers, while a pot of beans was sitting next to it.

I'm waiting on them to go on sale so I can buy one. I would get at least the two burner, if not the three burner, depending on how many people you camp with. There are six in my family, but when you add in my brothers' families, arents, friends, etc., we were able to cook for a lot of people in a reasonable amount of time.

One thing about the Camp Chef, it seems there are lots of ways to configure the setup. Do I need the double grill box, or the single burner one. Do I need the double griddle or the single. Since I usually have me, my wife, daughter and one of her friends, I don't have to go hog wild. On the other hand, sometimes we do camp with another couple, and the three burner sounds the most versatile. Also, there doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference in the price. Still some more thinking to be done.

Good point about the altitude. Since I mostly camp close to home, that may not be an issue. South Central Kentucky is only about 5 to 600 feet above sea level.

Ok, I pulled the trigger on the 2 burner explorer Camp Chef. Also got a 2 burner grill box, one burner reversible griddle and the side trays, all on sale at Gander Mountain. Going camping this weekend, can't wait to try it all out. This setup looks very solid to me. Very heavy duty metal used in construction.

I know its an old thread .. I have both Camp chef and a Coleman propane ...hands down the king chef will outcook a coleman everyday everytime but the cost of this is size and weight. If you have enough room in the vehicle and you want to eat well grab the camp chef. End of story

A two burner Camp Chef is the Mac Daddy of camp stoves. I used Coleman stoves for years, but the Camp Chef is superior, if a bit larger and heaver. Perfect for car camping.

+1 A once in a lifetime purchase & you can pass down to the youngins'

Get yourself a Coleman stove. Doesn't have to be a new one. They are bullet proof and they last forever. And a Lodge 12"/6 quart dutch oven.

Top Bottom