What's new

The Shaving Cream Racket

I ran across this and found it interesting...

http://www.lewrockwell.com/tucker/tucker65.html

Imagine ...he recommends using baby oil or mineral oil instead of canned shaving cream. He then goes on to suggest that even that isn't needed and that warm water will do the trick.

Although I agree the canned stuff sucks for me and can see how oil could provide the necessary lubrication, I can't imagine with just water.

:spockflam My face would feel like this

Actually when you think about it what you need when you shave is lube and cushioning. Water will provide that, cold water not warm. In fact there are many who shave with cold water only and it does work. The trick is you have to keep applying it because it quickly runs off or evaporates.

that's an old one. there's a lot larger scams out there. just to name a few:

home ownership
car ownership
suburban living
health care companies

I've actually tried mineral oil and plain water. The mineral oil was somewhat sticky and too thick for my tastes. Plain water didn't work at all.

I'm pretty sure Erasmic, Ingrams and Palmolive creams are cheaper than Johnson's Baby Oil here in the UK, or am I also falling for the branded baby oil scam?

Last edited:
that's an old one. there's a lot larger scams out there. just to name a few:

home ownership
car ownership
suburban living
health care companies

Home ownership is if you have a mortgage, leasing a car is a rip off, suburban living sucks (I know, I live in one :mad3: ) and health care companies are the biggest scam ever.

Bear in mind that this guy is talking only about canned stuff when he says "shaving cream". It is apparent that he has never heard of soaps or creams and is basing his opinion on the canned gunk that most around these parts probably would agree is a ****ty product.

IMO mineral oil does provide a superior shave to Edge and Gillette et al. Warm water is kind of pushing it though, and the writing of this article is really arrogant and comes across to me as poorly researched.

Mostly I think someone needs to send him a tub of Proraso or a bottle of KMF.

Home ownership is if you have a mortgage, leasing a car is a rip off, suburban living sucks (I know, I live in one :mad3: ) and health care companies are the biggest scam ever.

sadly this article is a little bit old but read this (http://www.mortgagenewsdaily.com/292005_Mortgage_Study.asp). it basically says "don't buy a house because you'll be paying it until your 90." also ask florida and california how their housing markets are doing (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aVLaQuo4f3b4&refer=us).

cars are a rip off becasue basically as soon as you drive them off the lot they lose. additionally take a look at the AAA your driving costs report (http://www.aaapublicaffairs.com/Assets/Files/200948913570.DrivingCosts2009.pdf). the lowest average is $7000. it also doesn't factor in things like car washing, tolls and god forbid acidents.

now compare that to a 30 day unlimted ride mta (NYC) metro card at $89. so a year of metrocards costs $1068. if you live in chicago its $1032, san fran $840 and boston $708.

and well i don't have to prove the health care one. obama did that for me.

it basically says "don't buy a house because you'll be paying it until your 90."

:001_huh: You'd have to be doing something really really wrong for that to be even the tiniest bit true.

Then again, considering how many people carry a balance on their credit card, perhaps it's not so far fetched to believe that such people could exist.

What is the benefit of not buying a house? you pay rent that = a mortgage payment but you earn no equity. Good luck explaining how paying rent and having no physical property to show for it is better than paying a mortgage for 90 years, at least when you're done you have something tangible.

yeah, i guess i would be a little peeved if i had to live in my car :lol:

20 seconds for a shave-not in this life!!!
I don't seem to recall seeing any before or after pictures of this yahoo.

marty

:001_huh: You'd have to be doing something really really wrong for that to be even the tiniest bit true.

Then again, considering how many people carry a balance on their credit card, perhaps it's not so far fetched to believe that such people could exist.

i was exagerating a bit. but read the article. and you're right we're not factoring in other costs you know like food, water and heat. forget about credit card or education debt.

What is the benefit of not buying a house? you pay rent that = a mortgage payment but you earn no equity. Good luck explaining how paying rent and having no physical property to show for it is better than paying a mortgage for 90 years, at least when you're done you have something tangible.

i understand your agrument but remember people borrowing money against their equity causes huge amounts of problems. that can lead to even more debt.

i understand your agrument but remember people borrowing money against their equity causes huge amounts of problems. that can lead to even more debt.

So is it home ownership that's a scam, or the fact that people feel the need (and are enabled by lenders) to pull money our of their equity constantly to buy new cars and boats. That's not a scam either of course, it's just Americans being Americans.

For every person that actually thinks that home ownership is a scam, there are probably several people willing to rent them a home. These people of course, "invested" in their future to grow greater wealth, rather than using the extra money (or equity) they had for continuous instant gratification.

Also, not owning a car isn't a cost effective option for anyone that doesn't live in a large city with extensive public transportation.

Any investment involves risk, whether it's stocks, bonds, a mortgage or a car.
You're hoping the market will rise by the time you're ready to sell, but at least with tangible property you got to enjoy it's use in the meanwhile.

BTW, I used to share your opinion of car ownership ..... until I moved out of the insular circle of a major metropolitain area. A large majority of the people in the US can't live without a car, the public transportation network just isn't in place to allow you shop or get to work on a regular basis.

Top Bottom