What's new

Stretch Marks

Im in the process of losing weight and have noticed some stretch marks developing; any recommendations regarding creams, etc.? Thank you all in advance...

You might be able to reduce the coloration but they are permanent outside of surgical removal (and they are not caused by stretching believe it or not).

A hydroxy acid cream like Amlactin might even the coloration out and may make the texture a bit smoother. But if they really bother you, see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon for removal.

The only way you're going to hide them at all is by tanning... they may fade some over the years, but tanning's going to be the only thing that'll make them less noticeable.

I have 'em on my back from growing fast in middle school.

The only way you're going to hide them at all is by tanning... they may fade some over the years, but tanning's going to be the only thing that'll make them less noticeable.

I have 'em on my back from growing fast in middle school.

Just my opinion, but I think that tanning is going to do more damage to your skin than any benefit you may obtain from hiding your stretch marks. You might want to check with a dermatologist before persuing this course of action...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Congrats on the weight loss! I know nothing about removing stretch marks, but know that they still look a lot better than what was there before!!

Congrats on the weight loss! I know nothing about removing stretch marks, but know that they still look a lot better than what was there before!!

Thanks. Saw some pictures of myself from a few years back and was shocked at how fat I became....man it creeps up on you, client entertainment, no exercising,etc. I have some nice suits that didn't fit so it was time to stop fooling around and with a strict diet and aerobic exercising (running 4 miles/day) the weight is coming off...

Do these Vitamin E creams work or are they BS?

Dude, fat SOOO totally creeps up on a body!!!

Losing weight is very difficult, on par with any drug addiction if you ask me, and seeing some stretch marks is a small price to pay for health. But, I do feel your desire for cosmetic perfection...if you can afford it, it can happen. If I were you...I would try to feel proud of my effort, and wait to see what happens with the body image.

Shea butter - I'm starting to believe that stuff can do anything.
Not sure it will work for you, but it is used to help with wrinkles so it can't hurt to try it.
I wouldn't even bother with the lotions that include shea butter - just go to a natural foods store and pick up a jar of 100% pure shea butter. Scoop out the amount you need and rub it in or warm it up into liquid form if you prefer.

We started using it to help w/ our 17-month old daughter's dry skin and it worked wonders; my wife now uses it too and I use it when any dry skin shows up.

Try the maternity section. They sell stretch mark creams for pregnant women.

---------Michael

+1, My wife had a baby not long ago, she used Palmers Tummy Butter and it worked great, no stretch marks that I see. It's also great for dry hands.

M

modern man

Coco butter!

The Marks will fade eventually but never really go away. Coco butter is the best stuff for it, at some drugstores they actually have certain types for stretch marks.

Some good suggestions here. I have lost 3 stones in the last few years and still have stretch marks on my abs. The price is worth paying since the flab is gone.

I would also recommend drinking water throughout the day - carry a refillable sports bottle and sip water regularly. I saw an article in a health magazine stating that water can help to break up stretch mark tissue over a few years. Get back to me in a few years :001_tt2:

Oh yeah before going to sleep rub some olive oil on the affected area(s) + wash off in the morning

Keep at it!

What I think works include the following- Tanning, which hides it... lots of water... and this one seems to work pretty well--- taking a break from the dieting for about 1 week, every 5-6 weeks. I don't mean not dieting, but slowing down the weight loss to almost nil for that week, to let the body/skin kind of catch up.

I got stretch marks when I lost 40 lbs, and then I've slowly put 30 of it back on when I got injured and then got out of the habit of going to the gym, and all that... It sure does sneak up.

As for some other weight loss tips-- I'm a big fan of using the 3-4lbs HeavyRopes by Strength Systems... that seems to really kick up the heartrate for me.

-Rob

Top Bottom